What's new

Temp control mtl

I got awfy distracted by the numbers till @ed87 patiently showed me the way.

It’s easy to get lost in the numbers, they’re important but not if you don’t know why!

The mod supplies current to the coil at a specific voltage to heat it up; in a TC setup, this changes the resistance. The mod detects the resistance and lowers the voltage to compensate. The resistance change of certain materials when heated is known and this is programmed into the mod.

That’s it.

Some mods are better at TC because they can detect this change quicker and more accurately. Some are worse because they can’t.

The coil of metal is cooled by airflow and juice (liquid). When either is less, the temperature of the metal increases and hence the resistance.

Cheers though John, appreciate it

I’m in that clique now. But a couple of posts ago I was in the “we care about the numbers” one. It’s fairly fast paced on here, no?
You've joined the changed clique rapidly clique. I moved off there as I could never make my mind up. [emoji848]

Some mods are better at TC because they can detect this change quicker and more accurately. Some are worse because they can’t.

And that's why my mod 101 operates best for me in TC at 460, cos it's not as good as the others at sensing the change :)

And that's why my mod 101 operates best for me in TC at 460, cos it's not as good as the others at sensing the change :)

Would it not be more likely that it senses the change just as well, but isn’t as good at matching the change to a specific temperature? Otherwise you’d be getting dry hits and all sorts.

Unless you are manually entering the same TCR value, I think what they use for SS can be pretty different. That's why I think it varies.

Very possibly, if I stopped to think about it, I just mash the buttons till I'm content now and call it done when I've ceased mashing :D

I'm inherently a lazy SOB, I have all kinds of wire here I experimented with but these days it's either NiFe30 or SS316L, the mod101 only has profiles for Ni, Ti and SS with no TCR and who knows what grade of SS it's set up for.

I’ve had to bump this up to 250c. It’s just not enough on 240. Am I in the danger zone?

Back
Top Bottom