What's new

Please God help me.... Pioneer and Artemis

Tested everything other than changing juice with no change - will finish the tank then give that a whirl.

After a full half day test I think it's the juice - different juice has been fine. It's just a shame the new juice tastes like shite.

The only thing I can think of is the wick being too thin at the juice inlet, it looks really oversaturated showing that too much juice is getting into the deck direct rather than through the wick, or did you oversaturate it when priming?

I would try a fresh dry build (as in don't prime the coil with juice) pop it together fill the tank and look at it 5-10 mins later to see if it's naturally flooding.

What diameter coil are you using? maybe try a larger one to add more wick but 2.5mm should be okay.

The only other reason I could think of is that there isn't a good enough seal somewhere?

Dovpo_Pioneer_MTL_RTA-7.jpg

The only thing I can think of is the wick being too thin at the juice inlet, it looks really oversaturated showing that too much juice is getting into the deck direct rather than through the wick, or did you oversaturate it when priming?

I would try a fresh dry build (as in don't prime the coil with juice) pop it together fill the tank and look at it 5-10 mins later to see if it's naturally flooding.

What diameter coil are you using? maybe try a larger one to add more wick but 2.5mm should be okay.

The only other reason I could think of is that there isn't a good enough seal somewhere?

I think you’ve - at least partially - hit the spot here. Went over the tank and spotted the o-ring on the top of the tank that seals the bayonet cap was missing. Replacing that has seen a big improvement.
When filling though it’s not perfect - a lot of gurgling, and if I break the tank down after filling the upper bell of the chimney is soaked in juice, as is the wick. I’ve really crammed it in there, not thinned the ends at all - I’d say I had more cotton in there than on your photos - but it’s progress.

Is the last pic you’ve posted after priming, or after actually taking some draws?

The pioneer has not leaked in months, 2.5 Id 6 wraps in 28 awg kanthal contact coil.

The coil should sit no more than 2m above air whole.

Once you wicked the cotton add some juice and shape it so it away from the chambers, if the cotton touches the chamber it will climb up and that's why your getting the gurgling or juice in your mouth.

The is wick ports double check the cotton is sitting in there and remember keep the cotton away from the chambers.

Since I stopped filling my Pioneers all the way up, gurgling and leaking are things of the past. 2mm of clearance should be ok.

One of the last things I try before I banish a Mother F*cker tank...

After checking o-rings, flip the glass 180, as sometimes it can seal better worse
at one end than the other - especially at base

Wick using the Scottish Roll method - which is a little more tedious at first
But found a simple method now...
Peel off a layer, pull out as usual blah blah blah...
Snip the stretched cotton in half & use one half for tank, save other for later/Ron
now the rolling bit is a bit fiddly, so have a look for some twin & earth cable...
using say a 5 inch strip of the bare copper earth in ya mains cable...
(I guess a wire coat hanger might do, but is about 2mm thick but I've used a bit of
lighting cable earth which is 1.4mm on 1.5mm 2+E or 1.78mm on 2.5mm 2+E)
Always found the rolling of wick a PITA, to get started & keep it mildly tight & even)

Lay out a clean sheet of paper or something clean, ensure wire is fairly straight
lay the cotton down, use the copper wire, lightly wet fingers, roll the bastard up in a second
slide out the earth wire, viola - a fairly snug, evenly rolled wick
stuff the wick in there and if that don't help then the tank should perhaps be launched down the garden

I've found that a layer, stretched out & cut in half, creates the perfect size once rolled
to stuff into a 2.5mm coil, sure it takes a minute or two extra to spread/pull the cotton
but next time, I have the other half which is simply rolled in seconds, so no fuss at all
(even quicker than cutting off another strip of cotton hopefully straight & even,
coz the spare half is nigh on ready to go)

It's quite snug, but will likely help if standard method doesn't seem to stuff the wells/channels allowing
tank to flood & gurgle on some tanks, still staying on std 2.5mm coil
The other alternative is to try a 3.0mm coil which requires more cotton & this "can" work better on some
tanks with wider channels/wells to prevent flood/gurgle
(I prefer to stick on 2.5mm coil, 27awg, 7 wraps 1.08 etc... so often use a stuffy Scottish Roll with my bit of wire)

Above all else, using the two halves from one strip/layer I'm getting a couple more wicks per sheet
but most of all I seem to be getting more consistency in this method, than too wide/tight, too thin/loose wicking
What put me off was trying to roll it by hand, but thin earth wire has made it all a piece of piss
& have been wicking like this for last 6 months or so - why I didn't do this sooner is beyond me

*** it will take more "priming" than conventional wicking, don't drown or go nuts flooding the coil,
but be more generous especially at bend/elbows & rest of wick down towards the juice ***
Need to dry-draw bit more & let it stand a little longer before chaining away on a fresh rolled wick
But, yeah, it kinda works a bit better for me & imho worth a tiny bit more prep time at first attempt
worth a go & yields good results I think

best of luck

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom