What's new

Please God help me.... Pioneer and Artemis

Build it like an rda .:2thumbsup:
Put the coil Illegally close to the airhole pin.. making sure that the coil is central and clear of the chimney.
3 months and I only get a leak ,when filling up,if I don't close the air channels (I have two small showing)... plus I use 70Vg/30pg... I can't believe how easy and how great the flavour is..

As previously mentioned by @StrawberryRipple if the cotton is burning through you could have hotspot problems.

When you wind a contact coil the centre can get VERY hot - sometimes just one wrap in the coil can glow like the sun when the other wraps show no visible sing of heating, and if this happens when using thin gauge wire like 28ga even very modest power levels can be enough to burn through the cotton. If you try a spaced coil this will not happen as the heat spreads through the coil more evenly and there is little chance of localised hotspots.

The only other thing I can suggest is to wick through the coil more tightly, you can always thin out the ends if you feel there will be too much for the juice wells. If the cotton held inside the coil wraps is too loose the juice won't be in constant contact with the entire area of the coil - this can also cause areas of the coil to get insanely hot and cause cotton burning.

When you wick you should feel enough resistance to pull on the coil, but not enough to drag it out of position or permanently distort it. If you take a piece of cotton and tightly twist one end to a point, feed the point through the coil and start to pull it through - once the twisted end is through there should be noticeable resistance - if you then GENTLY twist the remaining cotton this should make it easier to pull the wick through. You can then untwist the cotton - if you then try to pull out the wick from either end there should be noticeable resistance, this is what you're aiming for. When you cut off the ends - it should look like a bowtie.

You don't want the wick held in place to be compressed so it is solid like a piece of wood, but you definitely don't want it to be loose. Like everything it can be a bit intimidating but once you suss how much resistance you need to feel when wicking it makes rebuilding easier. I can't say how much is the right amount - but if the wick slides through the coil easily without some resistance you are wicking too loose.

Good luck.

Thanks all. Was out so just looking at the replies.
I'd probably stress I'm using spaced coils in the Artemis - 27g, 5 wraps. I do dry burn / pulse them, they're heating evenly from the inside out.
I'll try packing more cotton in - I thought it was fairly tight but I'll try a bit more. The weird thing is I use the same, if not less, cotton in the Pandora with no issues. I do wonder if it's this juice in particular, though I've had sweeter in there with no issues.
The build in the later picture did exactly the same thing after about another hour (though I do chain them).

Thanks all. Was out so just looking at the replies.
I'd probably stress I'm using spaced coils in the Artemis - 27g, 5 wraps. I do dry burn / pulse them, they're heating evenly from the inside out.
I'll try packing more cotton in - I thought it was fairly tight but I'll try a bit more. The weird thing is I use the same, if not less, cotton in the Pandora with no issues. I do wonder if it's this juice in particular, though I've had sweeter in there with no issues.
The build in the later picture did exactly the same thing after about another hour (though I do chain them).
Is the e liquid sweet.
A disintegrating wick mid coil is the trademark of sweet....Juice like little havana is a sod for doing this.

try a different liquid in the artemis. that will narrow it down to either liquid or wick problem.

Tested everything other than changing juice with no change - will finish the tank then give that a whirl.

I find the pioneer tends to work well when there is quite a bit of cotton in it, and you do the damming type of technique as bruce advocates. Keeping it away from the sides (or not) doesn't have much effect in my experience.

If it's flooding (and when it does, you get a mouth full of juice, it's vile :puke:) it means that too much liquid is getting pulled through the juice flow hole somehow.

So it prob depends how hard you draw and the resistance of the cotton damming against the flow hole. Perhaps also how easily the juice is absorbed into the cotton (as opposed to flowing around it and into the chamber).

So it prob depends how hard you draw and the resistance of the cotton damming against the flow hole. Perhaps also how easily the juice is absorbed into the cotton (as opposed to flowing around it and into the chamber).

Sunspots. I think it depends on sunspots. Or whether you’ve just given it the side eye.

Back
Top Bottom