What's new

Mod/Kit/Tank Advice Required Please

I’ve been vaping for 8 months and recently came to the conclusion that I just can’t be arsed to make and wick my own coils, mainly because I’m crap at it and it became a massive chore. Unfortunately, by this time,I’d already bought 5 rta’s. Wish there was more choice of mtl tanks but the few I have suit me fine, in fact they always did, lesson learned for me.

I’ve just stuck some Colnel Booms Ceasfire in there and it tastes better. Maybe I just didn’t like the PF juice the way I thought I would & it wasn’t suitable for me in the Doogy. I didn’t think that was possible but who knows, I’m certainly no expert. I’m relatively new to vaping too, in fact I’ve just realised it’s 9mths today since I last had a cigarette. I’m not brilliantly and doing my own coils, I find it quite therapeutic & it helps with my mental state but I can get decent flavour from my Zeus single coil & Kylin Mini so I sort of must be doing something right.

Congratulations on your 9 months ciggy free :2thumbsup: Have seen people struggling to get the Zeus & Kylin Mini working for them, so you’re definitely doing something right :D Best of luck with your mtl experiments.

Hi Lee,
Sorry if I'm a little late to the party, but it has been a hectic weekend and I haven't been on here much.

I take it that the Doggys that you are talking about are the ones I passed on to you. You seemed happy with the first one I sent you, which had a simple Kanthal coil at around 1.3/1.4 ohms IIRC. I never had a problem with these tanks as far as flavour and vape quality was concerned, and they were in my rotation for a while. The reasons I decided I didn't get on with them were the piss poor design of the airflow ring, and the Genesis style deck. I got fed up always having to carry a blue screwdriver around with me to separate the base from the tank for refilling, and I prefer a cooler vape so I would rather have a coil in the bottom of the tank rather than halfway up. Anyway, long story short, I can't see that your lack of flavour is down to the tank itself, other than maybe coiling or wicking, but the Doggy is pretty forgiving in these respects, so I would guess that your issues are more with the juice rather than the tank. I really can't comment on particular juices, as I have only vaped home made for the last four years.

You mentioned vaping 12 mg nic, but nobody on this thread has yet spoken about VG/PG ratios [other than @zouzounaki in his customary esoteric way]. Flavour is carried better in PG, so it might be better using a juice with a 50/50 ratio or even a 60/40 PG/VG ratio.I may be wrong here [not an unknown phenomenon!] but I wonder if you are using the same juice in both MTL and DTL tanks and just topping up with 72 nic to bring it up to 12mg. A DTL 3 or 6mg juice is likely to have a ratio of 70/30 VG/PG or even 80/20. Either way the VG heavy juice will not carry flavour as well as one with more PG.

@Simon G makes a very good point that you can only really test a tank by using a juice that you know you like and whose characteristics and flavour profile you know [and I would add the correct VG/PG ratio for the style of tank].

So my advice to you would be to try and persevere with the Doggystyle rather than go spending hard earned beer vouchers on new gear before you really know what you want [or at least you know what you don't want]. So whack in a 2.5mm Kanthal coil at around 1.3 or 1.4 ohms [because we know this works, you told me it did on the first tank I sent you], and then get a juice you know you like, making sure it is 50/50 or higher PG,and see how you go. If this doesn't work, then maybe speak to @Simon G or @eyeball kid or any of the other folk familiar with stock coil MTL tanks for their advice before buying anything else.

I hope you get sorted sooner rather than later, but hang on to the thought that you WILL get it sorted!

Ian

Fellow Apes.
My recent woes with the Doggystyle, which I’ve heard it’s quite forgiving I’m now at a bit of a crossroads on what to do next. For the life of me I just cannot get any decent flavour out of PF Baykwell & Eton Mess.
Do I percivere and try the Lemon Grab & Stroodle to see if that makes any difference?? My last hope really is I’ve got some 30awg Kanthal & Ni80 coming to see if that makes any difference but I’m not hopeful.

I have had some flavour out of it from some 10ml juices from Drip Drop so could it be a possibility that I just don’t like these juices?? as I’m not sure now what I’m doing wrong when it comes to building it.
My only other tanks are 2 Ares which I never really got on with & a T18e pen. I do have some DTL RTA’s but I need the nic hit more from MTL. I really wanted to get away from the expense of buying stock coils but I’m getting so frustrated with myself that I’m not sure what to do now.

If I look to buy a Pen style, kit, pod or whatever it’s more & more expense until possibly I find something that I can get on with. Plus obviously the thing with the tanks is having a couple on the go at once.
Any advice on some sort of solution would be gratefully received.

TIA.......Lee
I can understand the baykewell in as much as it's quite a light flavour but as for the eton mess. I could vape it through a straw of a hot spoon and it would taste awesome.
What nic do you have as stu's vg went up with lower nic's.
@Crewella is the master of that particular tank (see how I avoided the difficult predicament)
Perhaps she can offer a new insight. I found it a great flavour tank but it's not in daily rotation.

All I can add is what my regular build is - 28AWG kanthal microcoil on a 2.5mm ID 7/8 wraps to around 1.4 ohms, run at around 10 watts ....... but I use that with 50/50 juice - 70/30 VG/PG will wick but you do lose some of the flavour.

Using 29awg, 2.5mm winding, 6 wraps (spaced) gives me 1.5 Ohm around 10w to 11w seems to work
(29awg is maybe a smidge over 29.18awg but caliper only shows 0.28 not 1000th of mm = 0.286mm true 29awg)

might get some 28 or 27awg at some point to experiment with adding a coil or two
but pleased so far with result, even with a diluted down mix (diluted flavour too)
I'm getting decent results I feel on low watts I feel, I have the urge to buy another tank to play with
wallet says stop it......

DTQwk4QXkAEM7_C.jpg

Back
Top Bottom