What's new

Mod/Kit/Tank Advice Required Please

Tobytyke

Achiever
Fellow Apes.
My recent woes with the Doggystyle, which I’ve heard it’s quite forgiving I’m now at a bit of a crossroads on what to do next. For the life of me I just cannot get any decent flavour out of PF Baykwell & Eton Mess.
Do I percivere and try the Lemon Grab & Stroodle to see if that makes any difference?? My last hope really is I’ve got some 30awg Kanthal & Ni80 coming to see if that makes any difference but I’m not hopeful.

I have had some flavour out of it from some 10ml juices from Drip Drop so could it be a possibility that I just don’t like these juices?? as I’m not sure now what I’m doing wrong when it comes to building it.
My only other tanks are 2 Ares which I never really got on with & a T18e pen. I do have some DTL RTA’s but I need the nic hit more from MTL. I really wanted to get away from the expense of buying stock coils but I’m getting so frustrated with myself that I’m not sure what to do now.

If I look to buy a Pen style, kit, pod or whatever it’s more & more expense until possibly I find something that I can get on with. Plus obviously the thing with the tanks is having a couple on the go at once.
Any advice on some sort of solution would be gratefully received.

TIA.......Lee

I tend to find that flavour diminishes the further the coils are from the airhole but the throathit increases. Have you tried pushing the coil down?

Some recommend the Hastur mini, the True or the Berserker mini. I think they all have comparable flavour.

I tend to find that flavour diminishes the further the coils are from the airhole but the throathit increases. Have you tried pushing the coil down?

Yep, tried it lower but also a little weary of it touching the deck & also smothering the air hole

If it touches it'll short, at least on a regulated mod or ohms reader it'll warn you.

It’s such a shame you’ve had such struggles with the Doggystyle. I’d have to agree with @John R that I was disappointed with flavour from Ares but really impressed with the Doggystyle. Maybe it is just a mis-match of liquid & tank. I wonder if that it was the eliquids I use that didn’t gel with the Ares, as there were a lot of people loving the flavour from that tank.
My coils are about 1.5/2mm above air hole.
I’ve got a spare Doggystyle I could coil & send you if want to do a comparison with yours.

Sorry @4Dee I just cut that bit out, got a bit confused as I don't have the ares, but the Siren 1 was virtually identical and I found that poor too. Curiously enough, some liquids just seem to work better in certain tanks for flavour as you say, for reasons I dont really understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry @4Dee I just that bit out, got a bit confused as I don't have the ares, but the Siren 1 was virtually identical and I found that poor too. Curiously enough, some liquids just seem to work better in certain tanks for flavour as you say, for reasons I dont really understand.
I think the airflow on those 2 tanks is nearly identical, so they probably behave very similarly. I spent ages trying to get some flavour from my eliquids from the Ares, but I use mostly tobacco flavours and I think most of the people I saw that enjoyed the Ares were using more fruity flavours. I don’t understand what it is in a tanks design that favours certain flavours, but it’s definitely a thing :)

Fellow Apes.
My recent woes with the Doggystyle, which I’ve heard it’s quite forgiving I’m now at a bit of a crossroads on what to do next. For the life of me I just cannot get any decent flavour out of PF Baykwell & Eton Mess.
Do I percivere and try the Lemon Grab & Stroodle to see if that makes any difference?? My last hope really is I’ve got some 30awg Kanthal & Ni80 coming to see if that makes any difference but I’m not hopeful.

I have had some flavour out of it from some 10ml juices from Drip Drop so could it be a possibility that I just don’t like these juices?? as I’m not sure now what I’m doing wrong when it comes to building it.
My only other tanks are 2 Ares which I never really got on with & a T18e pen. I do have some DTL RTA’s but I need the nic hit more from MTL. I really wanted to get away from the expense of buying stock coils but I’m getting so frustrated with myself that I’m not sure what to do now.

If I look to buy a Pen style, kit, pod or whatever it’s more & more expense until possibly I find something that I can get on with. Plus obviously the thing with the tanks is having a couple on the go at once.
Any advice on some sort of solution would be gratefully received.

TIA.......Lee

There's a lot of possibilities here, but I'll start with the PF flavours, I have nothing to say other than I've never liked them. I think I pretty much tried them all when I first started vaping. So maybe it's the same for you.... of course that's a possibility.

I do understand you wanting to get away from stock coils, but you should think about the cost of £2 week compared to buying 10 or more RTA's trying to find one that works for you.

I've been buying RTA's for 3 years now and I have 3 that I like, I must have tried around 30. ... at a cost of something like £500 - £600. so it's going to take me 5 or 6 years to make that money back by coilling up corolla's with 28awg kanthal, rather than popping a coil in my Vika.

... and buying stock coils compared to smoking, is obviously nothing like the same cost.

The cost savings only work if you find an RTA you like and can live with quickly, otherwise you'll just be buying tanks rather than coils and getting more frustrated.

My doggystyle lasted a week, and that's how I deal with RTA's and save myself getting frustrated, I can usually tell if I like an RTA within 2 days, if I don't like it I just get rid of it as quickly as possible. If I'm still enjoying it after a week then chances are it's going to stick around for much longer.

I don't think using nichrome will magically transform it and neither will lowering the coil half a mil, that's about fine tuning something you like already imo.

I'm not sure why you are thinking about pods and pens, they serve a purpose but I don't think there's anything out there that will be an upgrade to what you have...

Not sure any of this is any help, but it might help you think about stuff and focus on exactly what you are looking for.

you really should try out RTA's with a flavour you are really familiar with too, it's the only way you can really judge.

There is something to what others say about certain tanks suiting certain flavour profiles. I tend to use the Doggy with tobacco juices. This is where it works well for me. For fruit and dessert flavours I much prefer other tanks.
I'm getting some seriously good flavour from Lee's Occult Owl range. Not using the nic shot but putting my own PG nic in. Comes out at 60 VG and 12mg. Am using Cthulhu Hastur 3.5ml version with smallest airflow reducer and flavour is sublime.

Back
Top Bottom