What's new

Is the Kayfun really way above the others?

I never got on with the Kayfun v5, it never seemed like a proper mtl tank, more of a restricted DL. I ended up stuffing bits of mesh into the airflow hole under the coil to reduce it but even then the flavour was pretty meh. I use the Prime, mini v3 and lite 2019, all proper mtl attys. Although some other tanks are as good, nothing beats them for flavour or vape quality with the possible exception of the EVL Reaper V3 which is the best tank for flavour I have ever tried and I must admit is marginally better than the Kayfuns.

I never got on with the Kayfun v5, it never seemed like a proper mtl tank, more of a restricted DL. I ended up stuffing bits of mesh into the airflow hole under the coil to reduce it but even then the flavour was pretty meh. I use the Prime, mini v3 and lite 2019, all proper mtl attys. Although some other tanks are as good, nothing beats them for flavour or vape quality with the possible exception of the EVL Reaper V3 which is the best tank for flavour I have ever tried and I must admit is marginally better than the Kayfuns.
I agree - the V5 seemed not 'proper' MTL to me. :)

@Crewella Have you still got your hastur mini? I've been messing around with wicking and have managed to get it consistently bang on by using the half dam method. Wicking perfect for me even when taking multiple pulls without releasing the fire button.

Short wick tails, juice them up, then carefully place the tip of the wick into the juice port, so much so that barley any pokes out. Tried it with a low ohm mtl build, no dry hits. Currently using it with a 1.35ohm 28g build, again perfect.
Pretty much how I wick mine. Wicks barely in the holes. Never ever had a problem. I may have put a kf lite in my basket. Oops

The v5 got a lot of stick for that - it is true that it isn't a proper MTL and it is clear just by looking at the deck and the size of the hole under the coil. I guess so many people got upset with the v5 because the previous tanks grew so much in them and this was a curved ball trying to satisfy everyone but not really succeeding, the Vaping Biker has a good video where he goes over the aiflow options for the v5, the Hurricane and another tank I can't think of right now.

If we're talking MTL for me it can't just mean a tight draw something a lot of vapers seem to get wrong trying to push XYZ atty as MTL - you can make a Goon 25 tight but that does not an MTL atty make, it just means you're using it wrongly. A proper MTL needs to have small air intake as well as small hole(s) hitting the coil.

The v5 got a lot of stick for that - it is true that it isn't a proper MTL and it is clear just by looking at the deck and the size of the hole under the coil. I guess so many people got upset with the v5 because the previous tanks grew so much in them and this was a curved ball trying to satisfy everyone but not really succeeding, the Vaping Biker has a good video where he goes over the aiflow options for the v5, the Hurricane and another tank I can't think of right now.

If we're talking MTL for me it can't just mean a tight draw something a lot of vapers seem to get wrong trying to push XYZ atty as MTL - you can make a Goon 25 tight but that does not an MTL atty make, it just means you're using it wrongly. A proper MTL needs to have small air intake as well as small hole(s) hitting the coil.
Agreed

I think the problem is more to do with reducing the air intake while having too big a hole under the coil. It makes for poor vapour.

That was the reason they released the Prime soon after the K5, to satisfy the MTL brigade.

I haven't tried the Prime, but the K5 is easily the best flavour tank I've used, particularly with tobaccos.

I've sacrificed a bit of flavour and use the K5² for my ADV because it's almost DL, but I use the K5 for my premium juices, Manabush and the like.

Th prime is very similar @Ment , just a bit smaller with less airflow. I never had both at the same time so I’m going from recollection. I liked the 5, it was the first decent tank I owned. Before that an avocado, which wasn’t great, thinking back.

You may want to try more RTAs, or if you're happy then stop reading now ;)

That's the kfv5's problem IMO: it tried to do a lot but doesn't do anything outstandingly well, except reliability, quality of construction and ease of building. Flavourwise the GT3 is light years ahead as a restricted DL, as is the Rose3. When it comes to MTL the v4 and kfl+ are also better: I find that the v5 somehow flattens juices - for some juices that's actually beneficial. As I said above I use it to test new juices exactly because it gives a reliable baseline, not because I find it gives the best flavour.

You may want to try more RTAs, or if you're happy then stop reading now ;)

That's the kfv5's problem IMO: it tried to do a lot but doesn't do anything outstandingly well, except reliability, quality of construction and ease of building. Flavourwise the GT3 is light years ahead as a restricted DL, as is the Rose3. When it comes to MTL the v4 and kfl+ are also better: I find that the v5 somehow flattens juices - for some juices that's actually beneficial. As I said above I use it to test new juices exactly because it gives a reliable baseline, not because I find it gives the best flavour.
IMHO that's almost always the case with tanks that try to combine DL and MTL - they end up doing neither as well as they could. :(

Back
Top Bottom