What's new

Doggystyle coiling

Many thanks for this MHL. I will give it a go using yr instructions tomorrow. Actually you may have hit on something re tightening the screw. I have been tightening it very strongly and it's at that point that it all goes pear-shaped. Despite my best efforts to hold the wire taut, I can see it moving as I tighten the screw. Definitely something to consider.....
I was the same but am learning to slow down and check as I go

Different tanks = different wire/coil clamp methods = slightly different techniques

Tanks like True you can mount like Doggy - wrapped around screw (most popular)
but had a washer/clamp method/option too - but found it was a bit wanked plus sat coil a bit too low

Others have an eyelet mounting - perfectly suited if using half wrap coils, with posts on same side of jet/nozzle
where the coil, 6.5 wraps just simply inserts no worries - but pita if using a 6 or 7 wrap

Others have a slot mounting, either vertical or horizontal, but even this can be a bitch on some tanks
The Adventa Manta MTL was a sod on thin wires, often the wire would fight and slip out from under grub screw
think that was best suited for slightly thicker flat wire coils, but was a sod for my 29awg std kanthal

The True, wrapping wire under the pan head screw is quite easy to do once you got it sussed

If you still can't get on with it - the Hastur 3.5ml has gotta be one of the easiest tank to mount a coil in - either way round
the slots seem to allow a coil to mount at a slight angle, straighten up and legs slip into the slots
the position of grub screws in relation to slots themselves seem to be positioned just right and grab the wire without fuss
(unlike the Manta MTL which was a real battle to stop the wire fighting to jump out as you tighten - jeez what a pita)

Think end of the day, it is a case of you just adjusting/mastering the slight technique or qwirks of each tank
and finally settling on which tank you get on with that works for you
I'm sure you'll suss it real soon

I want coil lessons from @Fuctifino for my birthday

No you don't, you would still be reading the War & Peace novel on your next birthday
besides I'm no expert - the small tiny bit of wisdom I might have gained
is all down to thousands & thousands of screw ups I've made in my life - myself (& still making them)
if I was wiser, more fortunate I would have learnt from others mistakes than made so many of my own

On addition to all the above, make sure you wind your coil the right way, as shown in my pic, so that your leg is bent around the screw *in the same direction* as you tighten it.

If you wind it the other way, tightening the screw pushes the leg out.

I use pbussardo's technique (can't find a good video for that right now) for decks without holes. Basically you leave the coil on the rod, put and hold it in place. Then you take the leg of the coil (you want it to be long enough!), wrap it tight around the screw and - here's the key - back on and around the rod! Then it basically holds itself in place while you screw it down. Easy peasy.

Different tanks = different wire/coil clamp methods = slightly different techniques

Tanks like True you can mount like Doggy - wrapped around screw (most popular)
but had a washer/clamp method/option too - but found it was a bit wanked plus sat coil a bit too low

Others have an eyelet mounting - perfectly suited if using half wrap coils, with posts on same side of jet/nozzle
where the coil, 6.5 wraps just simply inserts no worries - but pita if using a 6 or 7 wrap

Others have a slot mounting, either vertical or horizontal, but even this can be a bitch on some tanks
The Adventa Manta MTL was a sod on thin wires, often the wire would fight and slip out from under grub screw
think that was best suited for slightly thicker flat wire coils, but was a sod for my 29awg std kanthal

The True, wrapping wire under the pan head screw is quite easy to do once you got it sussed

If you still can't get on with it - the Hastur 3.5ml has gotta be one of the easiest tank to mount a coil in - either way round
the slots seem to allow a coil to mount at a slight angle, straighten up and legs slip into the slots
the position of grub screws in relation to slots themselves seem to be positioned just right and grab the wire without fuss
(unlike the Manta MTL which was a real battle to stop the wire fighting to jump out as you tighten - jeez what a pita)

Think end of the day, it is a case of you just adjusting/mastering the slight technique or qwirks of each tank
and finally settling on which tank you get on with that works for you
I'm sure you'll suss it real soon

Thanks for the info Fuctifino. I'm gonna give it another go later on.

On addition to all the above, make sure you wind your coil the right way, as shown in my pic, so that your leg is bent around the screw *in the same direction* as you tighten it.

If you wind it the other way, tightening the screw pushes the leg out.
Yeah - thanks for that - I remember someone on another thread mentioning this so it was something I took into account when attempting the coiling.

Back
Top Bottom