What's new

Testing before steeping?

Elmo0808

I am guessing with new mixes trying it before adding nic will give a general idea of what it will taste like once steeped? I am planning on mixing 10 ml to try then larger quantities to steep if I like it.

It depends on the flavours, really. There are some that change a lot over a few weeks to a month or even longer, and others that don’t change much at all.

I am guessing with new mixes trying it before adding nic will give a general idea of what it will taste like once steeped? I am planning on mixing 10 ml to try then larger quantities to steep if I like it.
Hi mate. There can be quite a difference at times. If you have a juice that has steeped the required time then try it before wasting your nic in it in case its not great, then with or without the nic you will still get an idea what it's like. But if you mix something up and try it, before it's required steep time right after you mix it ( say a mix with custard and cookie that requires a month) it may taste not great and you may reject something that in 4 weeks time would taste terrific. The reason im saying this is because it comes across as if you will try them and make your mind up yay or nay before the steep.

Overall you can get a reasonable idea of what a recipe tastes like 1-2 days after mixing, then you should steep the required time so it becomes good to vape.

What I found is that in 1-3 days you get a profile, that's when the ingredients have settled properly in the mix, in a week you get a pretty accurate feel for the recipe, most can be vaped at this stage but depending on the ingredients you may get unpleasant off notes (think plastic/pepper for some custard, cat piss for some tobaccos), from then on you let it steep the off notes out, the common wisdom says that all fruits will be vapable at this stage, tobaccos should become good after another week, and custards want to sleep for a month total before they are very good. Think the longest I left something to steep was a sample of Ripe Vapes VCT, I let 10ml sit for 6 months and it was divine.

Steeping can't change the profile, but it can make things better tasting. One of the best (time-saving) pieces of advice I got when starting out mixing was that if something tastes rank it is very unlikely that it will become great after steeping, it may become vapable but the profile will be the same. I think this holds even for custards e.g. if you put even 1% Capella custard v1 it means the mix will need 2 weeks of steeping, if you go to the usual >5% that Capella VC v1 is used then you're looking at a month. If you vape it before that time you'll get awful plastic off notes, but the basic profile will be the same.

Overall you can get a reasonable idea of what a recipe tastes like 1-2 days after mixing, then you should steep the required time so it becomes good to vape.

What I found is that in 1-3 days you get a profile, that's when the ingredients have settled properly in the mix, in a week you get a pretty accurate feel for the recipe, most can be vaped at this stage but depending on the ingredients you may get unpleasant off notes (think plastic/pepper for some custard, cat piss for some tobaccos), from then on you let it steep the off notes out, the common wisdom says that all fruits will be vapable at this stage, tobaccos should become good after another week, and custards want to sleep for a month total before they are very good. Think the longest I left something to steep was a sample of Ripe Vapes VCT, I let 10ml sit for 6 months and it was divine.

Steeping can't change the profile, but it can make things better tasting. One of the best (time-saving) pieces of advice I got when starting out mixing was that if something tastes rank it is very unlikely that it will become great after steeping, it may become vapable but the profile will be the same. I think this holds even for custards e.g. if you put even 1% Capella custard v1 it means the mix will need 2 weeks of steeping, if you go to the usual >5% that Capella VC v1 is used then you're looking at a month. If you vape it before that time you'll get awful plastic off notes, but the basic profile will be the same.

Thanks for the response, some great advice here for someone new to DIY.

Back
Top Bottom