What's new

mixing scales recommendations?

Yohoto

Initiate
I'm open to any suggestions.

I'm planning to get a bit more adventurous with the DIY and thought I should get some better scales. I've seen loads of recommendations for the AWS LB-501 which seems to be about £55 on amazon which is more than I had imagined spending, but I'm not against it.

AWS I'm guessing are the American weigh scales ?
Which are one of the best for weighing e juice.
Howevever there are much cheaper alternatives out there
that are much cheaper, the set i use cost about £8.

Something like this will let you weigh up to 500g or roughly 500ml of e juice and cost £16
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E6RE3A0?linkCode=gs2&tag=bestoninte00-21
upload_2020-9-1_2-51-48.png

Yeah, the AWS is the American Weigh Scale. I could probably excuse the expense by using them for more than just mixing juice,

The scale you linked looks like it will do the job and for a fair bit less. I tried a similar one in the past and I noticed that if the amount I was adding was too small it didn't register. I could have added weight infinitely but as long as it was small enough increments it wouldn't display a change. Have you had any issues like that? I wonder if it was because the resolution of the scale wasn't small enough? As in the scale I used was 0.1-500g and the one you linked is 0.01-500g. It sounds like that is exactly what it was saying it out "loud" haha.

Something like this will let you weigh up to 500g or roughly 500ml of e juice and cost £16
View attachment 227273

Exactly the same scales I use at home for mixing. Had them a few years now and never let me down yet.

I also have a set of jewellery weighing scales that I use for making small samples. They only go up to 50g but read at 0.000 so abit more accurate.

Amazon product ASIN B071GYVQF3
Lot of the time I'll mix the flavourings and nicotine up first on the smaller scales where accuracy is abit more important then switch onto the larger scales for PG and VG.

View attachment 227273

This is the one I bought from Amazon and I got the 500g version that weighs down to 0.01g. I get the same issue with initial pickup not registering until there is about 0.05 - 0.08g but that only really matters if I'm mixing a 10ml test bottle and I'm used to just seeing how much 1 drop of each liquid weighs and allowing for it. All in all though I'm delighted with this set.

The version I bought cost £13 but that was because it also came with the little calibration weight which I like.

Coupled with a 5ml glass measuring tube that I bought off ebay I've got accurate weight per gram specific gravity figures for every ingredient in my stash and you really notice the difference when you're mixing up 1/2 pint bottles to see if you end up with the right liquid level in the bottle at the end.

I also have a set of jewellery weighing scales that I use for making small samples. They only go up to 50g but read at 0.000 so abit more accurate.

Lot of the time I'll mix the flavourings and nicotine up first on the smaller scales where accuracy is abit more important then switch onto the larger scales for PG and VG.

This sounds like a great idea and makes a lot of sense. I had ruled out smaller scales entirely.

This is the one I bought from Amazon and I got the 500g version that weighs down to 0.01g. I get the same issue with initial pickup not registering until there is about 0.05 - 0.08g but that only really matters if I'm mixing a 10ml test bottle and I'm used to just seeing how much 1 drop of each liquid weighs and allowing for it. All in all though I'm delighted with this set.

The version I bought cost £13 but that was because it also came with the little calibration weight which I like.

Coupled with a 5ml glass measuring tube that I bought off ebay I've got accurate weight per gram specific gravity figures for every ingredient in my stash and you really notice the difference when you're mixing up 1/2 pint bottles to see if you end up with the right liquid level in the bottle at the end.

The glass measuring tube. Is it one of the tall sciencey things like this?
TIS83qS.jpg

I'm feeling more motivated already.

The glass measuring tube. Is it one of the tall sciencey things like this?

That's the one.

You can buy them off ebay for peanuts.

You have to weigh the empty tube first then whenever I get a new flavour I fill it up to the 5ml line and weigh it. Then you just subtract the weight of the empty tube and divide by 5 which tells you the specific gravity in weight per ML for that particular liquid.

Last edited:
I'm open to any suggestions.

I'm planning to get a bit more adventurous with the DIY and thought I should get some better scales. I've seen loads of recommendations for the AWS LB-501 which seems to be about £55 on amazon which is more than I had imagined spending, but I'm not against it.
post 6 here. same scales as above for under a tenner from ebay POTV Vendors & Recommended E Liquid Suppliers

I should be up and running in no time. The ebay link is chocka with scales, get some glassware and a big wild white wig!

Semi-related question. How do you all track your mixes and experiments?

I know there are a handful of apps and sites that you can use to track recipes and the like but I've never really nailed how to label the actual mixes. In the past when I've had my little adventures I did things like wrote on reclaimed bottles with a marker, used sticky labels and a biro, even the old sniff and guess. I would invariably end up with bottles that looked like the inside of a bus station toilet cubicle or covered in glue that would never really fully come off. I thought about getting one of those label makes, assuming the little strips they put out were easier to clean up after. I also thought about the cost of bottles and throwing them when they got too... disfigured but the plastic consumption/waste would weigh heavy on my hippy-heart.

Back
Top Bottom