What's new

Measuring larger amounts of VG

rcairncross46

Initiate
How do you measure larger amounts of VG accurately? I’ve been using 10ml syringes to mix smaller batches but It’s going to be tedious to do it this way for larger amounts. I bought a 100ml measuring flask but when I pour it out a fair amount stays in the vial.
I though about heating the VG to reduce its viscosity but I’m concerned about it possibly degrading in some way or plastic leaching from the bottle.
How do you guys go about this?

I think you might want to look at getting a scale, and mix by weight, it is also far more accurate.

I use scales that are accurate to 0.01 grams and can weigh up to 500 grams, like the On Balance ENVY 500.

Doing it by weight does away with all those messy syringes and measuring cylinders, I just pour into the target bottle from large PG or VG bottles until I'm close, then I have some smaller 50ml bottles of VG PG and nic that I can use drops from to get to the target amounts.

I just zero the scales with the empty bottle on it, top up to a certain weight with one ingredient, zero scales again, top up with next ingredient, and so on.

No mess to clear up at all.

As above, but you'll need to weigh some vg first as the weight can vary from batch to batch.

Put your 100ml flask on the scales and fill it to see how much it weighs.

Mine is 127 grams per 100ml, so I multiply my required volume by 1.27 to calculate how many grams I need.

@rcairncross46 like others have said above get some scales, I did try larger syringes and that was damn hard work. Scales makes life so so much easier.

About a £10 on Amazon These are the ones I use.

I use a measuring cylinder and don’t worry myself too much about the couple of ml that sticks in the bottom. It doesn’t cause me any noticeable problems.

I like the easy life, scales are the way to go.
The only syringe I use is for drawing out the nic, flavourings go in straight from the bottle.

One thing about scales to add here; think about the maximum weight that the scales can handle. I use one set accurate to 0.01g for measuring nic and flavourings. The downside is that they can only measure weight up to 200g so for larger mixes (half a litre plus) I use scales accurate to 0.1g which can measure up to 2kg.

Another approach I take in order to make life easier is not to bother with PG in my mixes or weighing the VG at all. Knowing the capacity of the glass bottles I mix into, I only weigh the nic and flavouring, then top up the bottle with VG. I don't care whether the final mix is 76/24, 80/20 or 84/16 ... I just want high VG juice mixed quickly and easily with no cleaning up to do.

The only reason a home mixer needs to measure is so that mixes can be repeated reliably. Actually get hung up about syringes vs scales or needing to be spot on to 0.01g with every ingredient is a waste of time and energy.

I like the easy life, scales are the way to go.
The only syringe I use is for drawing out the nic, flavourings go in straight from the bottle.

One thing about scales to add here; think about the maximum weight that the scales can handle. I use one set accurate to 0.01g for measuring nic and flavourings. The downside is that they can only measure weight up to 200g so for larger mixes (half a litre plus) I use scales accurate to 0.1g which can measure up to 2kg.

Another approach I take in order to make life easier is not to bother with PG in my mixes or weighing the VG at all. Knowing the capacity of the glass bottles I mix into, I only weigh the nic and flavouring, then top up the bottle with VG. I don't care whether the final mix is 76/24, 80/20 or 84/16 ... I just want high VG juice mixed quickly and easily with no cleaning up to do.

The only reason a home mixer needs to measure is so that mixes can be repeated reliably. Actually get hung up about syringes vs scales or needing to be spot on to 0.01g with every ingredient is a waste of time and energy.

I go one step further and have a base of 3.3mg 80vg prepared and top up the flavourings with that.

If my flavourings come to 10% I'll be almost exactly 3mg 70vg, but it'll never be anything to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom