What's new

Making A Custard Base For Later Use, How To Go About It?

Messy Beatz

Postman
Hey all,

I keep seeing online that custards get better the more they steep, generally 14-21 days but anything up to 4weeks+ if you dont vape it all by then. Haha

What I'd like to do is mix 200ml of custard and then use it as and when I need it as it'll be already steeped.

Question is, lets say I wanted to make a 30ml strawberry/lemon/custard, do I simply fill up a 30ml bottle with my pre-steeped custard and then add strawberry and lemon concentrates by the drop? Ive probably got this all wrong which is why I'm hoping some of the experienced DiYers can help a noob out here.

Also, Im thinking of whipping this up as my custard base (going for a creamy/vanilla/mouthy/sweet vape) - from your experience is there anything I should add/remove or up/lower on the % ?

100ml 80/20VG, 3mg Nic, 17.2% total flavour.

• Bavarian Cream (TPA) - 2.9%
  • Cheesecake (Graham Crust) (TPA) - 3.7%
  • Marshmallow (TPA) - 2.3%
  • Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (TPA) - 4%
  • Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) - 4.3%
I also have these if needed: Vanillin 10 (TPA), Super Sweet (CAP), Ethyl Maltol 10% (Vapeable)

Thanks in advance.

You're on the right tracks, and really there are no rules - just experiment till you find your ideal method.

Custards will keep improving for a year so don't worry about making up too much.

My method is to mix different varieties of frequently used flavours, in the case of vanilla I have a mix of 5 varieties which goes into a custard mix at 5%, and the same with cream.

The % of custard will depend on which one you use - I use CCW at 20%, but it's weaker than most, giving me a total of 30%.

Any other flavours I would add when I want to vape them - these would usually be fruits and wouldn't require additional steeping.

Looking at your mix, I'd say reduce the VBIC and increase the custard.

VBIC is very strong for a vanilla (they're usually quite weak), and your mix could end up more vanilla than custard, unless that's what you're aiming for.

I just mix up the concentrates that I use for my custard base and leave them to blend/mature. When It's good to go I just use them as I would any other concentrate (add my pre-mixed by and nicotine base and any other flavours) a good shake and a day or so to steep and the finished juice is all good but does continue to get better over time.

CAP V1 6-8%
VBIC 1-1.5%
Cheesecake. 3%
Bav cream 2%
Marshmallow 1-2%
(Strawberry Base 4%) if thats the strawberry you have, i personally mix Strawb Ripe and Red Touch in equal quantitys to make a base then put in the mix 7 days before its ready.
Thats how I'd tackle it like but i only make 10ml test batches, no point putting all your eggs in one basket like.
I dunno if thats a recipe you found online or you made it up yourself like but .9% and .3% are not gonna make a difference when making juice IMO, just stick to wholes and halfs like mate then tweak if needs be.

My basic custard mix is..
Cap v1 7%
Vbic 3%
Bav cream 3%

If I want to add another flavour e.g.
Caramel or banana,I just take the amount from the pg total.

I just mix up the concentrates that I use for my custard base and leave them to blend/mature. When It's good to go I just use them as I would any other concentrate (add my pre-mixed by and nicotine base and any other flavours) a good shake and a day or so to steep and the finished juice is all good but does continue to get better over time.

So dont add nicotine at this stage?

Does this make a major difference or just personal preference?

CAP V1 6-8%
VBIC 1-1.5%
Cheesecake. 3%
Bav cream 2%
Marshmallow 1-2%
(Strawberry Base 4%) if thats the strawberry you have, i personally mix Strawb Ripe and Red Touch in equal quantitys to make a base then put in the mix 7 days before its ready.
Thats how I'd tackle it like but i only make 10ml test batches, no point putting all your eggs in one basket like.
I dunno if thats a recipe you found online or you made it up yourself like but .9% and .3% are not gonna make a difference when making juice IMO, just stick to wholes and halfs like mate then tweak if needs be.

Its something I just made up, but basically I checked each ingredient on the ELR website and used the average mixing % which was those number you see there. If the .x% doesn't make a difference then ill be defo taking your advice here and start mixing wholes/halves.

Oh and I have strawberry (ripe) and strawberry both TPA. I got many other concentrates (forest mix, berry crunch, juicy peacy, sweet mango, strawberry shisha, glazed donut, Dulce, Fuji Apple, Dragonfruit, lemon Sicily, peaches and cream, berry cereal, blueberry extra, harvest berry)

just wanted to nail this creamy custard base and then start throwing some of these fruits into the mix and seeing what happens.

My basic custard mix is..
Cap v1 7%
Vbic 3%
Bav cream 3%

If I want to add another flavour e.g.
Caramel or banana,I just take the amount from the pg total.

This looks simple and its most of the time the simple ones that are most effective, will mix a 10ml batch of this today.

Looking at your mix, I'd say reduce the VBIC and increase the custard.

VBIC is very strong for a vanilla (they're usually quite weak), and your mix could end up more vanilla than custard, unless that's what you're aiming for.

Thanks, I didn't realise VBIC is strong (only been DiY for 2 weeks now)... I will make 2 batches with high % VBIC and lower %, see what I like better.

And based on what you've all said its looking like a mix like this:

v1 CAP - 7%
VBIC - 2%
Cheesecake - 3%
Bav Cream - 3%
Marshmallow - 2%

So have reduced the VBIC, cheesecake and marshmallow and increased the v1 quite a bit.

Will aim to mix this up tonight but will wait for anymore replies just before I pull the trigger. Thanks all. :)

Last edited:
So dont add nicotine at this stage?

Does this make a major difference or just personal preference?

I think it's maybe subjective, but with flavour that needs to age (custard mainly, for me) I find it's better if you mix the flavours with the amount of nic concentrate that you need and let that steep. Then when it's good, mix up the vg/pg etc with it. I did this after Panos from atmos labs told me that strong nic has a beneficial effect on steeping. I had emailed him to ask why his premade mastic liquid was dark, when the concentrate is clear and very slightly cloudy. I thought at first the labels might have got mixed up.

I don't always manage to do it this way (cause it takes a bit of planning and you can't try it while it steeps) but I find it's much better if I can. The strong nic in there definitely affect the flavour development.

Back
Top Bottom