What's new

Getting to the bottom of Cherry

Mr Ripple

Legend
Thread created for notes purposes and to track progress for getting to the bottom of the Cherry enigma.
I'm going to pick up all the different cherry flavourings i feel have potential or deserve a place and add some notes on them.

At this stage I'm going to group them into three different categories that i know of unless i come accross more during testing.

Medicinal
Almondy
Fruity

The following is an extract from an article i found which goes some way to explain why there are almondy tasting Cherries out there and should help me winkle out some of that almond taste so the fruit can come through.

"""Food flavors develop in two ways. The first is when someone develops a chemical compound and thinks, “Gee, this tastes like cherry.” The second, more common method, is that a chemist creates a profile of a fruit and reverse-engineers a flavor based on that data""""

Light bulb moment maybe....?.?.?.?.?.?
"""The European interpretation of cherry flavor is different than the American one. The American perception of cherry is more like bitter almond. In Europe, “cherry” is fruitier and less harsh"""

Obviously the end result is to extract the fruit and avoid the almond and medicinal notes..........
More to follow.............

Curious (Miraculin) research needed as concept is interesting.
BlackBerry
Unsweetened Chocolate
Rasberry
Rainier

Last edited:
Had a quick look at the TPA datesheets

CAS # 100-52-7 : benzaldehyde

seems to be the common compound, described as "sweet, oily, almond, cherry, nutty and woody"

It's in

Black Cherry
Almond
Cherry Extract
Almond Amaretto
Cherry Blossom

'Almond' also has a compound called Isobutyl Benzoate, described as "Fruity, balsamic, cherry and fruity taste"
'Cherry extract' has a compound called Benzyl Alcohol, described as "fruity with balsamic nuances"

I'm presuming it's not a coincidence that all these compounds have words that start with 'Benz' in them. If the main compounds that taste of Cherries also have nutty oily almond qualities, then I'm guessing it's difficult to make one without the other?

Benzaldehyde (bitter-almond oil) is an aromatic compound commonly used in the cosmetics and flavor industries.

The natural source of benzaldehyde is amygdalin, a glycoside found in apricots, bitter almonds, apples, cherries etc. Benzaldehyde is commercially produced by liquid phase chlorination and oxidation of toluene. Other methods reported to produce benzaldehyde include oxidation of benzyl alcohol, hydrolysis of benzal chloride and carbonylation of benzene

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalo...term=benzahldehide&utm_content=ALDRICH/418099

Had a quick look at the TPA datesheets

CAS # 100-52-7 : benzaldehyde

seems to be the common compound, described as "sweet, oily, almond, cherry, nutty and woody"

It's in

Black Cherry
Almond
Cherry Extract
Almond Amaretto
Cherry Blossom

'Almond' also has a compound called Isobutyl Benzoate, described as "Fruity, balsamic, cherry and fruity taste"
'Cherry extract' has a compound called Benzyl Alcohol, described as "fruity with balsamic nuances"

I'm presuming it's not a coincidence that all these compounds have words that start with 'Benz' in them. If the main compounds that taste of Cherries also have nutty oily almond qualities, then I'm guessing it's difficult to make one without the other?
Thank you very useful.
I'm already thinking it's probably going to be the USA ones that are almondy and tfa/tpa is a US manufacturer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzyl_alcohol

Benzyl alcohol, sold under the brand name Ulesfia, was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2009, as a 5% solution for the treatment of head lice in people 6 months of age and older
Benzyl alcohol is used effectively for treating lice infestations as the active ingredient in lotion shampoo with 5% benzyl alcohol

.... I wish I hadn't looked. :D

Might be handy for people with young kids though, just tip some TPA cherry extract on your kids head.

Will a search of all the old threads on the forum about cherry flavour not quickly establish that there are no cherry flavours that actually taste like cherry.

I am not interested in the flavour but my impression is that there have been many threads over the years and you might be looking for something that does not exist. Perhaps cherry flavour is for folk that like cherry flavour rather than for folk that like cherries.

Will a search of all the old threads on the forum about cherry flavour not quickly establish that there are no cherry flavours that actually taste like cherry.

I am not interested in the flavour but my impression is that there have been many threads over the years and you might be looking for something that does not exist. Perhaps cherry flavour is for folk that like cherry flavour rather than for folk that like cherries.
You could be right as it's certainly an enigma but i don't mind chasing rainbows and it will be an interesting pastime.

I think TPA cherry extract tastes very much like cherry, the issue is that it tastes like cherry juice, has no body and is weak as hell. It also makes everything 'soggy' like tobaccos and pastries.

If you were making a say... cherry and raspberry juice flavour I think it would work well.

Back
Top Bottom