What's new

Flavour floating on top

MartSmith1979

Postman
Hi guys
Relatively new to mixing my own liquids, been going well following mix calculators from ‘makemyvape.co.uk’. over the weekend I decided to make another liquid, ‘refreshers’ again followed the recipe by the book, the mix as always is 70vg/30pg & never has any problems before. But the flavour concentrate is floating on top of the rest of the mix. I’m Wondering if it’s because flavour went in last? Or whether it’s just a bad concentrate. I’ve heard if anything separates or floats on top it’s no good.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Give it a shake and see if it seperates again. Usually concentrates go in first.
Only one I've seen seperates was a orange but it was shop bought so no idea if it was the flavours or a bad mix.

Shake it. Shake it like you've never shook before. Sounds like you've used a concentrate that seperates, there are some that do, usually citrus concentrates.

I've heard Triethyl Citrate can help with the seperation. If you've got some Flavour Art MTS then I think that has some in it as well.

Best thing is just to shake the bottle like mad every time you're going to use it though.

Gave it a shake a few hours after making it as that was when I first noticed it had separated. Checked again last night and it had done the same, checked again about half an hour ago and it’s separated.

Not sure whether to whizz it out or keep an eye on it. Is it ok to vape if it’s shaken before put in my tank?

Shake it. Shake it like you've never shook before. Sounds like you've used a concentrate that seperates, there are some that do, usually citrus concentrates.

I've heard Triethyl Citrate can help with the seperation. If you've got some Flavour Art MTS then I think that has some in it as well.

Best thing is just to shake the bottle like mad every time you're going to use it though.

Didn’t notice your comment until after I replied to the other reply. Thanks for your advice, you have already answered a question I asked in my reply. Going to give it a good old shake now.

Inawera Shisha Orange is a git for doing this. Few flavour concentrates out there do seperate no matter what you do.

As has been said, give it a good shake everytime before using it, should be fine.

A number do separate, citrus is notorious at doing so, especially Flavour Art Citrus's, in particular Lime Tahiti. Flavour West licorice does it too. Some Chocolates. You can see it in a tank left over night sometimes. Just the nature of some concentrates.

Its often the distilled essential oil based flavours that separate... There's a good few threads and discussions on this on the forum. I recommend doing your own research on this but I think the conclusion was that undistilled essential oils = bad. Distilled essential oils = ok

Last edited:
distilled essential oil based.....
undistilled essential oils = bad. Distilled essential oils are = ok.

The theory of distilled water+essential oils is a fractal distillation (albeit a very gentle one). Water +heat in one "testicle", essential oil(s)+heat in the other "testicle" , both steams combine in the shaft and cool down and condense, giving the finished product + some unwanted things (excess water and such) .

The theory of distilled water+essential oils is a fractal distillation (albeit a very gentle one). Water +heat in one "testicle", essential oil(s)+heat in the other "testicle" , both steams combine in the shaft and cool down and condense, giving the finished product + some unwanted things (excess water and such) .
Thanks for that. Interesting stuff.

Back
Top Bottom