What's new

calling all pharmacists - can we vape cocoa extract?

I was looking through some flavourings while out shopping and came across some chocolate.

Checked out the ingredients and saw that it was: water, alcohol and 7% cocoa extract.

Now, I wonder, can this be vaped? Coz it could finally be a non-disgusting choc flavour!

I have currently tried about 5 choc flavours/concentrates from a few vendours and they all have the same weird background taste, so I'm thinking that all the eliquid chocs are of the same, funky-tasting origin. I personally find it tastes like weak rum, hint of chalk, and something else you'd have to be me to understand. Not chocolate. Although after a month of steeping can at least smell like chocolate.

Thoughts??

From what I can gather, e-liquid flavourings originate in the food flavouring world anyway - it could be that the chocolate flavouring you've found is the same basic source as e-juice, that smells, and even tastes, like chocolate but the flavour doesn't carry in a vapour - OR they haven't been able to use it because of known (or suspected) risks of vaping cocoa.

I know that some people are cautious of vaping alcohol based flavourings, but then others dilute VG with vodka, so I don't think that's necessarily a problem.

I'm not sure anyone could currently say whether vaping cocoa is safe or not (equally, they can't currently say that about the other flavours, but it is a reasonable assumption to make)

yeah, fair points. I don't think it's oil though, as flavourings usually say 'oil' but this didn't. Wonder if I could email the vendor. Are you saying that alcohol being present infers that it contains oil? The alcohol content was about 40% - that it did say.

dying to find a chocolate as it would make so many things work. But I genuinely don't believe one exists having tried so many.

Alcohol is often used as a carrier for oils to separate and disperse them through a liquid. It's often used in perfumery to disperse the natural essential oils either just in the alcohol (proper expensive stuff) or in a water base (Eau de Toilette).

Hi guys.

I am currently making a Liquorice extract in my little lab, almost ready to vacuum purge the ethanol/water solvent mix.
Chocolate is next on my list. No I am not a pharmacist, somewhat of a hobby chemist perhaps.

I just googled cocoa extract extensively, a bit complicated. Firstly you will need defatted cocoa powder, below 1% fat usually, the regular 100% cocoa in the store is 20% fat, not nice to vape grease. Ethanol(alcohol) is a decent solvent for the components that give flavour, probably why the cocoa absolue you can find on the net is dissolved in it. The liquid should not contain any solid particles, but ethanol does dissolve fats, so that could be in the extract

As to the flavour, cocoa in its pure form is bitter and evil. When you eat it its been enhanced with sugar, fat and vanilla. I suspect a pure "real" cocoa extract will taste a bit like chalk and bitter something. The thing is, fat carries the flavour of cocoa as we eat it, can imagine its a tremendous challenge making a vape flavour thats close to that.

As soon as I find a good source i will put in an order for defatted cocoa and do a bit of a test, can report on how things turn out. I do think it will need a bunch of sweetness, vanilla and some kind of "cream" flavouring to get a taste similar to the chocolate you eat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom