What's new

Any alternative to Ethyl maltol to stop Gunked up coils ?

TBH I'd ditch the ethyl maltol all together in that mix it will be sweet enough as it is.
If you do notice a difference then up the vg ratio by a couple of percent.
As most of the sweetness in juice comes from vg anyway I'm surprised people use sweeteners at all.

I was thinking the same thing - I've eliminated sweeteners without thinking about it, and having vaped pure vg in the past I assumed that as I increased the vg ratio in my mixes I no longer need sweeteners.

I’ve never put sweetener in liquid. Would it be safe to assume people use this stufff because they are following recipes that include it? Or do you all have very sweet teeth?

Last edited:
Hi, My mix is:-
Capella Vanilla Custard 20%
Dulce de Leche 4%
Ethyl Maltol 1%

Should I cut down to 0.5% using Capella Super sweet ? or continue with just using the above without any sweetener, not tried without so not sure if it might not taste as good, Thanks.

I'd cut down that custard too. I made a 10% single mix just to try and push it high but 8% would probably be the highest I'd go.

I’ve never put sweetener in liquid. Would it be safe to assume people use this stufff because they are following recipes that include it? Or do you all have very seeet teeth?

I'm the same, most recipes really don't need it at all.

Another no sweetner user here, there is just no need, I do notice it immediately when I buy pre made........reminds me of the old curry sauce trick, which hides a multitude of sins:)

TBH I'd ditch the ethyl maltol all together in that mix it will be sweet enough as it is.
If you do notice a difference then up the vg ratio by a couple of percent.
As most of the sweetness in juice comes from vg anyway I'm surprised people use sweeteners at all.

Hi, never thought about that, my ratio including Nicotine is 50% PG / 50% VG. I always thought it was PG that gave the flavour but obviously wrong, Thanks again.

Hi, never thought about that, my ratio including Nicotine is 50% PG / 50% VG. I always thought it was PG that gave the flavour but obviously wrong, Thanks again.
Not really bud.
Flavour carries better in pg but thats only cos it mixes better/quicker.
Try a single drop of pg on your tongue to taste and then do the same with vg.
It will help you understand what you get from both.

I would advise mixing it still at 50:50 and just ditching the sweetener, and seeing what it tastes like. You already have 20% of custard in there, which is way too much. It might be that the sweetener is there to mask the bad taste of over flavoured. Like @Horrand says, 8% is plenty for that stuff.

I'd cut down that custard too. I made a 10% single mix just to try and push it high but 8% would probably be the highest I'd go.

I'm the same, most recipes really don't need it at all.

Ok, I originally had custard at 15% but no flavour and to be honest dont get much more at 20%, my mix including nicotine is 50% PG / 50% VG, Should I come back down to 15% Custard and increase to say 40% PG / 60% VG ? Thanks.

I would advise mixing it still at 50:50 and just ditching the sweetener, and seeing what it tastes like. You already have 20% of custard in there, which is way too much. It might be that the sweetener is there to mask the bad taste of over flavoured. Like @Horrand says, 8% is plenty for that stuff.

Ok, thank you very much for the advice, I will defo do as you say and give it a go, thank you all very much.

Ok, I originally had custard at 15% but no flavour and to be honest dont get much more at 20%, my mix including nicotine is 50% PG / 50% VG, Should I come back down to 15% Custard and increase to say 40% PG / 60% VG ? Thanks.

Less is more with DIY juice. EM mutes flavours too

Back
Top Bottom