What's new

Accurate Flavour Weight Measurements

MarylinC37

Achiever
Today I've been busy weighing the liquids in my stash because I found some of the quoted weights I found online aren’t accurate and I wasn’t ending up with the amount I planned to make.

Obviously, weights can vary a little bit depending on batch and conditions the liquids are kept in, etc. I really noticed though when the amount of VG I had to use seemed way off which got me thinking that it was best to check.

I used a 5ml measuring tube and my scales (which I've calibrated and measure down to 0.01g) to get more accurate weight per gram figures for each of the 26 flavours I have so far. I’m new to mixing so don’t have a huge stash yet, but I thought it could help someone to post my figures.

I’ve listed each flavour and brand and then weight per gram for each one.

Feel free to add any figures you have for other flavours if you want.

Chefs VG - 1.264
Chefs PG - 1.040

Super Sweet (Capella) - 1.046
Sweet Cream (Capella) - 1.046
Coconut Extra (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.008
Pineappla (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.000
Pineapple Juicy (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.014
Blackcurrant (Chefs Choice) - 1.034
Sweet Strawberry (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.008
Strawberry (Ripe) (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.020
Chocolate Fudge Brownie V2 (Capella) - 1.034
Double Chocolate V2 (Capella) - 1.050
Crème de Menthe (Flavour Apprentice) - 0.926
Peppermint (Flavour Apprentice) - 0.908
Candy Cane (Flavor West) - 1.008
Vanilla Ice Cream (Vape Train Australia) - 1.038
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (Capella) - 1.044
Vanilla Custard V1 (Capella) - 1.042
Vanilla Swirl (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.030
Marshmallow (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.022
Meringue (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.022
Bavarian Cream (Flavour Creative) - 1.046
Milk Chocolate (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.008
Chocolate Milk (Vape Train Australia) - 1.020
Condensed Milk (Flavour Creative) - 1.014
Milk Fresh (Vape Train Australia) - 1.026
Mint Candy (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.020
Vanilla Ice Ream (Liquid Barn) - 1.026

Today I've been busy weighing the liquids in my stash because I found some of the quoted weights I found online aren’t accurate and I wasn’t ending up with the amount I planned to make.

Obviously, weights can vary a little bit depending on batch and conditions the liquids are kept in, etc. I really noticed though when the amount of VG I had to use seemed way off which got me thinking that it was best to check.

I used a 5ml measuring tube and my scales (which I've calibrated and measure down to 0.01g) to get more accurate weight per gram figures for each of the 26 flavours I have so far. I’m new to mixing so don’t have a huge stash yet, but I thought it could help someone to post my figures.

I’ve listed each flavour and brand and then weight per gram for each one.

Feel free to add any figures you have for other flavours if you want.

Chefs VG - 1.264
Chefs PG - 1.040

Super Sweet (Capella) - 1.046
Sweet Cream (Capella) - 1.046
Coconut Extra (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.008
Pineappla (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.000
Pineapple Juicy (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.014
Blackcurrant (Chefs Choice) - 1.034
Sweet Strawberry (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.008
Strawberry (Ripe) (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.020
Chocolate Fudge Brownie V2 (Capella) - 1.034
Double Chocolate V2 (Capella) - 1.050
Crème de Menthe (Flavour Apprentice) - 0.926
Peppermint (Flavour Apprentice) - 0.908
Candy Cane (Flavor West) - 1.008
Vanilla Ice Cream (Vape Train Australia) - 1.038
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (Capella) - 1.044
Vanilla Custard V1 (Capella) - 1.042
Vanilla Swirl (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.030
Marshmallow (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.022
Meringue (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.022
Bavarian Cream (Flavour Creative) - 1.046
Milk Chocolate (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.008
Chocolate Milk (Vape Train Australia) - 1.020
Condensed Milk (Flavour Creative) - 1.014
Milk Fresh (Vape Train Australia) - 1.026
Mint Candy (Flavour Apprentice) - 1.020
Vanilla Ice Ream (Liquid Barn) - 1.026
Must of taken you a while to do this. A good exercise.
Your figures are pretty accurate and not too far adrift from the specified specific weights of each ingredient.
From memory, flavour weight is assumed for calculations as 1 and then adjusted depending on its base liquid.
I do wonder just how accurate you could get with a 5ml measuring tube tho. Human error etc.
Well done for doing it.
For me, mixing by weight is still the most accurate way of mixing and definately easier and quicker.

Thanks. I totally agree weighing is far better and far quicker and easier.

Thing was, I used a recipe mixing calculator and trusted the weights it gave me and I seemed to end up with more liquid than I'd planned for which obviously would affect the ratio and nic level of the mix.

The 5ml measuring tube I have has lines every 0.1ml which I feel is well accurate enough for what I need. It was really fairly quick and easy to do. If you weigh the empty tube first then you don't need to place it on the scales while you're putting in the juice so you can hold it up to the light and just fill it exactly up to the line. Then you weigh it again and just subtract the weight of the tube and divide the result by 5 to get an exact weight per gram. Now I know how easy it is I'll do the same on all my new bottles for the time being.

I also have some calibration weights to check my scales are accurate first which I'm glad to say they were spot on.

Very interesting. Well done and thank you for the effort you have gone to. I do wonder how much difference the odd 0.01g or so in a recipe actually makes but if precision is what you’re after a precise baseline is a must.

I was calculating a 120ml mix using an online recipe calculator and found the VG weight was over 10ml different. I'm really not overly bothered about precision but I felt that difference was too far off and I would have almost ended up with liquid spilling out of the top. You'd be surprised how much difference cumulative errors like that can make.

Wow. 10ml out of 120 is a lot. Much more than I would have thought likely. When you did your exercise above were you able to identify the source and extent of the discrepancies?

Happy with my settings :D
grams.png

Last edited:
This is all very well if your mixing your own recipe but what about other peoples recipes.
If they've been designed based on volume it should be fine but most calculators wont go into that much detail for weight and if someone elses recipie has been designed using weight to calculate your calculations might differ that much that your version might not work out the same.

This is all very well if your mixing your own recipe but what about other peoples recipes.
If they've been designed based on volume it should be fine but most calculators wont go into that much detail for weight and if someone elses recipie has been designed using weight to calculate your calculations might differ that much that your version might not work out the same.
Good point. The site I mainly use elr shows recipes in percentage, weight and volume but that does assume that the recipe poster knew what they were doing at the time. I’m sure I’ve seen another site that also showed drops, may have been atf.

Good point. The site I mainly use elr shows recipes in percentage, weight and volume but that does assume that the recipe poster knew what they were doing at the time. I’m sure I’ve seen another site that also showed drops, may have been atf.
The detail the OP has gone into is distinguishing subtle differences between say TFA Marshmallow and TFA Blueberry when existing recipies won't be that specific and certainly mix calculators won't have been programmed in such detail.
As interested in vaping calculators @Richard Winter is I'm sure he'll confirm it would be a huge amount of work to achieve something pretty negligible when you factor in the number of flavour manufacturers and thousands upon thousands of individual flavours.

Back
Top Bottom