What's new

Steeping - Caps on or off?

Is there a more efficient way to give the liquids time to breathe? Could I put them in the microwave, with it off of course. Or leaving the caps on loosely?

VG definitely gets thinner when left out to the air and doesn't thicken back up.

Simple thing to do is make 2 bottles the exact same and leave the cap off one and leave the cap on the other.but wtf do I know.haha

on on on on on on

Both Pg and too a lesser extent Vg are hygroscopic - which means they attract in water particles literally from the surrounding air - alongside anything that may be dissolved in the water.

The cleanrooms, Laminar flow units and air control in production environments are not just for show.

Ultimately .. you are mixing at home - its your choice .. but from a production standpoint seal it up as soon as poss - and let time be the greatest steeping agent.

Well manabush has spoken, and out of anyone I would be listening to what he says. The lids are on for me.

I believe the only reason you might want to leave the cap off while steeping is if you added alcohol for whatever reason and need it to evaporate. Otherwise lid on, as ZT pointed out both PG and VG are hygroscopic and will attract moisture into the mixture along with anything else in the air. And it will thin your mixture as Moddin says VG attracts and ABSORBS moisture, you'll end up with a higher water content in your juice. Just leave your bottles with the lids on in a cool dark place after making sure they're well shook up after mixing, go back to em every now and then and give em another shake and try em if you're that desperate - otherwise there is no substitute for time, I genuinely believe that the idea of speed steeping is a myth - you can help it along a little but most of the stuff I read about it seems like superstition and ritual based on anecdotal evidence. Steep your juice in a pyramid shaped box with a crystal suspended above it on a piece of string...I heard that helps your juice steep faster etc etc :p

I steep mine in a pyramid tea bag box with a dangly cats toy over it. Have I got that wrong :8:

For me, I try all of the various options and permutations myself, and make up my own mind what works.
My taste buds are completely different to anyone elses.
Enjoy the journey, and don't sweat the small stuff.

Seems a majority vote to leave the cap off here: http://thevapersshed.boards.net/thread/3703/steeping-poll-caps-on-off

Not saying the majority always makes the right decisions though. I have also read that plastic bottles, unlike glass, are permeable to air. This means that air particles can pass through the plastic bottles!
Not sure what poll you're looking at but in the one you linked its 48-8 in favour of leaving the caps on.

To add to the reasons to keep your caps on the lighter flavour volatiles in your juice will evaporate quicker if you leave your caps off which will in turn mute the complexity of your mixes. If you're really desperate to 'speed steep' it then give it a hot water or rice bath, but your best bet is to just put it away in a dark space and forget about it.

Think the only reason for tops off is to let alcohol evaporate some flavours do contain it.
Tops on and leave them for me, if they're a bit rough after a couple of weeks I'll give them an airing, but there's no fixing a poor recipe imo, so if they're still rough start again.

Back
Top Bottom