What's new

Recipe for first DIYer

Thanks, will give this a try also.

I have pinched @Mr Numpty numpty 's recipe to give a bash;

TFA Cheesecake (Graham Crust) 8%
TFA Dragon fruit 3%
TFA Vanilla Swirl 4%

Dragonfruit cheesecake sound filthy good!
When I saw that recipe (it's not one of mine), I couldn't quite figure why it was getting so many high ratings on ELR - looked a bit simple, unbalanced and unimaginative but I mixed it anyway and left it a couple of weeks. There must be some weird chemistry that happens between those particular concentrates in those ratios because it didn't taste anything like I imagined it would. I got no cheesecake, no Graham crust, but instead its taste is very reminiscent of green Opal Fruits (does anyone remember these?). They were not sharp like the other colours, but a very smooth and creamy lime. At least I thought they were lime, but maybe they were dragon fruit, because that's how this juice tastes to me. :D Hope you like it, please do let us know.

When I saw that recipe (it's not one of mine), I couldn't quite figure why it was getting so many high ratings on ELR - looked a bit simple, unbalanced and unimaginative but I mixed it anyway and left it a couple of weeks. There must be some weird chemistry that happens between those particular concentrates in those ratios because it didn't taste anything like I imagined it would. I got no cheesecake, no Graham crust, but instead its taste is very reminiscent of green Opal Fruits (does anyone remember these?). They were not sharp like the other colours, but a very smooth and creamy lime. At least I thought they were lime, but maybe they were dragon fruit, because that's how this juice tastes to me. :D Hope you like it, please do let us know.

You're making me want to try it now, I had a similar experience with a Cosmic Fog Milk and Honey clone, there was nothing in it that could make it taste like milk and honey.

But it's just typical, I have 100 TFA flavours but don't have vanilla swirl.

I would knock up a taster of each fruit 10ml at say 7% flavouring if it your first go and take notes of how each 1 Vapes will help you in the long run and keep doing that every week for about 4 weeks it helps loads when your trying to mix your own.

How long into steeping can you tell what the balance of flavours is like? I mean can if your trying to replicate something, can you tell from a quick shake and vape or a sniff early on or is it typical that the end results is significantly different from how it starts out

You're making me want to try it now, I had a similar experience with a Cosmic Fog Milk and Honey clone, there was nothing in it that could make it taste like milk and honey.

But it's just typical, I have 100 TFA flavours but don't have vanilla swirl.

Ha, I've seen recipes for clones of M&H and wondered how they could turn out to fit the name.

One of the most frustrating things in DIYing is that no matter how many concentrates you have, you'll always be missing one from any recipe you come across and fancy trying, amirite!?

How long into steeping can you tell what the balance of flavours is like? I mean can if your trying to replicate something, can you tell from a quick shake and vape or a sniff early on or is it typical that the end results is significantly different from how it starts out

It depends - I've mixed stuff that smelled rank or just wrong from the off but tasted great after a very short steep even if the smell of the liquid hadn't changed much in that time. And same the other way, some smell like heaven but taste of nothing until they've sat for a few weeks. I wish I could tell you something more concrete but with DIY you really just have to go with the flow, no hard and fast rules because everyones tastes are so different.
One small tip if someone hasn't mentioned this already but if you sign for an account on http://e-liquid-recipes.com/ then you can tell it what flavours you have and it'll bring up other recipes you could make with those flavours. Most will be crappy one flavour 'tests' but even these can give you an idea of what kind of percentages people commonly use for that specific concentrate.

Back
Top Bottom