What's new

pg flavour v vg flavour

Mr Toff

Postman
I'm not sure if its the pg, but 60/40 vg/pg makes my nose run.
I've tried mixing 70/30 and it's not so bad, but to go 75/25 is messing with my recipes.
I'm currently using pg based flavours and nicotine.
I've got about 450ml of 72mg pg based nicotine, so im not about to buy more nic.
My question is, is there a difference in flavour between pg based and vg based flavour concentrates?

Hi @Mr Toff, it does sound like you might be a bit sensitive to PG, anything higher than 85/15 makes my nose run too, and owt more than 20% gives me a very chesty cough.

Your flavour problem might well be down to the fact that VG doesn't carry flavour anything like as well as PG, so if you manage to find some VG based flavourings - and they do seem to be becoming more widely available these days - you might have to use a higher percentage in your mix than you would with PG based ones.

I'm not sure if its the pg, but 60/40 vg/pg makes my nose run.
I've tried mixing 70/30 and it's not so bad, but to go 75/25 is messing with my recipes.
I'm currently using pg based flavours and nicotine.
I've got about 450ml of 72mg pg based nicotine, so im not about to buy more nic.
My question is, is there a difference in flavour between pg based and vg based flavour concentrates?

Hi the answer is a straight yes, VG based flavours need a higher percentage in a mix, the same as high VG liquids over higher pg. I can't be putting up with much PG in a mix, highest is about 25% due to pg nic 4.15 ml per hundred ml and pg flavours average about 20%.
The best thing i can offer here is try something like Oneshotwonder Keylime pie from Chefs flavours, you only need 10% so you would be making sort of 86% vg liquid thats if your using pg nic to make 3mg strength. there's also Grapple which is grape and apple and needs 12% . Give one a try and let us know if you get on better, by the way both are pg flavours but as said your still lowering the total pg content

thanks,
I might try a few vg based flavours.
I particularly like custardy flavours, but they take about 3 weeks steeping,
so it may be a while before i comment back :)

The thing about pg carrying flavours better, is it mostly down to viscosity?

Would like to read technical answer to that question. PG is thinner and mixes more easily and should in itself be flavourless whereas VG is thicker and tends to be sweet tasting. Beyond that ... anyone elaborate without repeating internet mantras?

It must be summat to do with the availability of connections the molecule can make, as the chemical makeup of PG is
C3H8O2, against C3H8O3 for VG and C2H6O for ethanol (the alcohol in alcoholic drinks), which also carries flavour well.

My guess is it's down to the number of hydrogen atoms that haven't already bonded with oxygen, but I could be completely wrong!

Any chemists on the Planet?

the increasingly popular super-concentrates have no PG in them ...and no VG either! so don't limit yourself to VG- based flavours. You can also use Real Flavours Super Concentrates, Medicine Flower, Nature's Flavors (except they're impossible to buy in the UK) and a few others. Best value , and most easily obtainable in the UK is the RFSC range (They have practically the full range at Rainbowvapes, at really cheap prices- considering how far they go)

Hi, who makes those ´´super-concentrates´´, where i can buy them?

Tnx

Back
Top Bottom