What's new

I've started mixing....

Simon G

Olympian
Just thought I'd venture in here, as a couple of you know I've been thinking about this for a while and got some advice from @Mr Numpty ages ago and a few others like @zouzounaki more recently, I did a lot of looking at recipes and flavours and spent some time with a couple of calculators making 'virtual' mixes before diving in, so I felt quite well prepared.

There's 2 main reasons I started, firstly so I can have the flavours I want and secondly in the PG ratios I want. ... which when buying pre-made these days is always pretty limiting in those areas, especially if you don't like fruits and want a higher PG.

I don't know if it's luck, good judgement, or just that I know my tastebuds pretty well with regard to what I like the taste of but I'm not really had any disasters so far and I've been happily vaping away on my experiments for the last couple of weeks. Some were nicer than others, some had flavours that got a bit buried in the mix or stood out a little too much but none were in the sink and it was pretty obvious what I have to do to adjust those flavours.

Almost all my flavours are either tobacco, nut, biscuit or spices .... with a few cream/smoothing type flavours like nougat and vanilla cheesecake.

The two that I've considered 'finished' are a 2x Tobacco, nougat, vanilla cheesecake mix, it's got a virginia tobacco and a ry4 type mixed with sweet nougat, with a hint of biscuit base and creamy vanilla from the cheesecake. It's basically a vanilla nougat flavour with the tobacco giving it a bit of smokey cigarette taste. I'm still a smoker at heart really so I need that thing going on, even if it's in the background.

The other one is a little more simple, it's 3x tobaccos in equal percentage, a 555, a USA red and the RY4, mixed with a some calipitter chow and finished of with a little toasted almond, it's just a nice dry-ish tobacco with a great toasty nutty taste which could be 3 varieties buy adjusting the % of each of the tobaccos.

My conclusions so far is that if you have the right flavours in the first place ... ie, you like them on their own and have a very basic idea of what will taste nice together to you, then it's quite difficult to go totally wrong, even if it's not quite what you expected and the % need some tweaking.

...another conclusion I have is that 60%PG liquids rule in MTL tanks. :D

I also learned that it's quite easy to go too far with the amount of different flavours, I tried one mix that had about 9 flavours and it ended up tasting just like an average nutty tobacco and you couldn't really pick anything out..... perfectly vapable but kind of pointless, you might as well just mix the 555 on it's own.

I might share some recipes if my guinea pig friends think they are worth sharing. :D

... still in the tasting every few days of steeping stage at the moment.

It's great fella, one of the reasons I mix is also to experiment with different tobacco's n stuff.

Well done Simon. Sounds like you have a well thought out approach to it and are having pretty successful outcomes so far. I highly recommend you start experimenting with custard in your tobacco mixes seeing as how you liked the cheesecake one. Custard and tobacco is a magical combo, specifically Flavour Art custard.

Aye, because I’m a lazy sod I usually mix up a load of 12mg 50/50, and use it as a base. After adding the flavours it’s probably somewhere between 51/49 and 55/45. Works ok because I use mostly potent flavours and add less than 5% total.

It's great fella, one of the reasons I mix is also to experiment with different tobacco's n stuff.

It sure is fun. :D

I have some violet concentrate on the way too, I love parma violets sweet to eat but the liquids are always very 'meh' and 'thin' ... I'm going to try and mix that with some vanilla swirl, maybe some nougat and a hint of sweet mint.... to use as something like a palette cleanser after all the tobaccos. ... I think that's where I'll find the real challenge. :D

Been meaning to try violet for ages as I love the sweets too. Do let us know how it is.

Been meaning to try violet for ages as I love the sweets too. Do let us know how it is.

Will do, according to an email I got from RM today, I should have it later today, I got the 'Violet Candy - Flavor Apprentice' from Darkstar.

It sure is fun. :D

I have some violet concentrate on the way too, I love parma violets sweet to eat but the liquids are always very 'meh' and 'thin' ... I'm going to try and mix that with some vanilla swirl, maybe some nougat and a hint of sweet mint.... to use as something like a palette cleanser after all the tobaccos. ... I think that's where I'll find the real challenge. :D

These bad boys...I like the sweets, although I do find them perfumey, so can't see me vaping em....Im quite lucky I like a lot of flavours, so can find a palate cleanser easily, be it menthol, anise, fruits with a nice cooling effect
IMG_20180531_125119169_LL.jpg

Use violet in ry4 recipes, but only in small amounts. I use the FA violet,
which is very good, not tried the TFA one. You need to be careful with the TFA flavours, I’ve tried a couple that were shite, a couple that are useful but don’t taste like what they are supposed to be, and a couple that are good. So hit or miss, for me.

Always a pleasure to read peoples mixing adventures. If anything I tend to be a bit overly critical of my own mixes and try to keep it simple.

Back
Top Bottom