What's new

Flavour Art's custard

jerseyvaper

Postman
Guys and girls, anyone tried this concentrate?
Last week I mixed up some custardy juices. In the past I only used capella custard, so this time I thought I'd mix it up a bit and add FA custard.
Tried it yesterday in the dripper to see how it was developing and it was tangy, almost fizzy? So I narrowed it down to FA's custard and I swear it smells and tastes like cola?
I emailed FA and bethany has said she's heard this before and it takes a loooong time for it to steep but assured me it is custard.
So my mind is at rest at least but have you guys heard /experienced this and how long do you think the step will take?

Sent from my barely visible iPhone

Any custard I have ever bought or DIY'd has had to take a good steep. I've had best results from doing a bulk mix so any additional flavour tweaks like caramel etc can develop their flavour. I now tend to make up enough concentrate for a 100ml batch so that would usually mean 16ml custard conc and whatever extras make up 4 or 5ml for a total 20/21% flavours. Usually leave that for at least 2 weeks before then making up the full batch. This also gives you plenty of time to make up another batch ready to go.
Lack of cash has seen me do a speed steep which involves concentrate+pg and then zapping it in a microwave for around 10 secs. leave that overnight, top off, after shaking very well; then add nic and vg to taste. As with all advice, that's what I have found works for me.
happy vaping!

If you Google search "My notes on FlavourArt" and add a flavouring on the end you'll find all HIC's FlavourArt notes.

Here's a quote from HIC @ VU:

FA Custard: 2-5% standalone, but usually used in lower percents as an ingredient

If you are looking for an American vanilla pudding flavor, you should also read about FA's*Vienna Cream,*Catalan Cream, and all three*FA Vanilla flavors.

FA Custard is a true basic custard flavor, not goopy vanilla pudding. Custard is made by cooking egg yolks, sugar, milk/cream, a little vanilla, and often a little lemon zest, into a thickened cream. FlavourArt is an Italian company, so they've included the light vanilla and lemon zest flavor as an Italian chef likely would. This is a bright, sweet, lightly creamy flavor.

So what to do with it? Some people enjoy it plain, anywhere from 2-5%, for the authentic flavor of real homemade custard (which does not taste like Jello instant vanilla pudding). Italians include custard in lots of desserts, so I take my ideas from real recipes. Here are my main uses:

Pour Custard over your favorite fruits. If you enjoy vaping fresh fruit flavors, you need this flavor. It works perfectly with all of FA's fruit flavors to add sweet, creamy, bright flavor. Try your favorite fruit(s) with a hint of (1%) Custard for the simplest Italian dessert.

Gelato is Italian, egg-based ice cream that begins with a cooked custard. Simply adding FA Custard to your favorite FA fresh fruit flavors will give you authentic Italian gelato flavor. 4% Grapefruit with 1% Custard makes grapefruit gelato, for example; 1% Bilberry with 2-3% Custard is bilberry gelato. The stronger the fruit flavor is, the higher the ratio of Custard to fruit. I haven't found an FA fruit flavor that doesn't taste GREAT as gelato.*

Custard is not just for Italian desserts. If a (real food) recipe begins with egg yolks, milk/cream, and sugar stirred together over heat, then the vape equivalent needs FA Custard flavor. You'll find it's the beginning of many cooked candies, ice cream, cakes, pies/tarts, and numerous other (real) European and American dessert recipes.

A little FA Custard adds bright sweetness that also complements deeper, bolder flavors - like chocolate, butterscotch, caramel, maple, tobaccos (!), rum, and nuts. Whether you're working on chocolate-rum mousse, butterscotch pudding, or even a smoother/brighter tobacco - any time you need bright-sweet-creaminess - FA Custard is one to try.

Last edited:
I now tend to make up enough concentrate for a 100ml batch so that would usually mean 16ml custard conc and whatever extras make up 4 or 5ml for a total 20/21% flavours.

I hadn't thought about doing it this way.
So you make the concentrate in bulk, makes a lot more sense.
So because the concentrate is premixed does the steeping start then or once you've added it to your Base?

I hadn't thought about doing it this way.
So you make the concentrate in bulk, makes a lot more sense.
So because the concentrate is premixed does the steeping start then or once you've added it to your Base?

Yes and no - the steeping starts immediately because the flavours are combining in the bottle but no insofar as you can get premix concentrates and essentially what I have just made is a premix concentrate. I would normally leave this around a week. If I have the luxury of time would then add just the PG needed and that's when some real steeping starts. The PG is the best flavour carrier, again at least a week for that. The 3rd stage is adding VG and nic and then just leave it as long as you can humanely resist that custardy goodness. I try for around a month in total by which time it should of turned an amber colour and is good to vape.

That's my own technique and others will have theirs and if you want hints just ask on the forum. There is no right or wrong way, you're blending for your own taste and it takes practise to get what you want flavour wise. Patience is a wonderful thing if you are DIYing so keep at it.

Thanks for sharing mate.
It's good to hear about different techniques. I'll definitely be trying your way, cheers

Back
Top Bottom