What's new

Do you go around your elbow to get to your ass?

You haven't addressed my point about scale.

If I were mixing 20 x 30ml bottles of the same juice I wouldn't bother with scales - one syringe would be all I used - nic, then flavours, wiping the needle as you do, then top up with vg.

When I make 20 different mixes it takes much longer, is more messy, and I need 10+ syringes.

As for specific gravity, this is the first I've heard of it. 1ml = 1g for nearly all concentrates and pg nic, and 1ml = 1.25g for vg.

And 20 drops / ml is way off for most concentrates. The needle tips on FA bottles are more like 40.

I mix differently according to the amount, if I'm mixing over 50ml I will do it by weight, much quicker and easier and for that amount +/- is unnoticable I find, mixing under 30mls I will use syringes as thats just as easy, I haven't used beakers so mixing something like 250mls would take a much longer time and be as inaccurate with syringes I'm sure! Syringes (and perhaps eyesight) wont be that accurate either I think
There is always going to be a margin of error regardless of method. I don't really understand why it would be quicker. It isn't time consuming at all. At least, not to me it isn't, not enough to want to find a way to cut it down. It's an art and a science, a hobby. Not a chore I want to rush. With so many people adamant that weight is better, I have yet to find one single person to back it up with an explanation why, other than personal opinions. I can't help my buddy based on opinions of everyone else because everything I know about chemistry tells me the margin of error is going to be much greater than if you just kept it simple and use volume.

You haven't addressed my point about scale.

If I were mixing 20 x 30ml bottles of the same juice I wouldn't bother with scales - one syringe would be all I used - nic, then flavours, wiping the needle as you do, then top up with vg.

When I make 20 different mixes it takes much longer, is more messy, and I need 10+ syringes.

As for specific gravity, this is the first I've heard of it. 1ml = 1g for nearly all concentrates and pg nic, and 1ml = 1.25g for vg.

And 20 drops / ml is way off for most concentrates. The needle tips on FA bottles are more like 40.
That's my whole point. Saying 1mg=1ml is not accurate with the flavors. They are complex solutions. Each solute having its own density. Which needs to be taken into consideration when you are mixing by weight. However, this can create an issue when writing or following a recipe. If you use a standard 1mg/ml and write your recipe accordingly, the next person to come along and see it, if they use specific gravity to get the weight of the fluids their percentages will be off. Maybe that's what is going on with my friend...

1 drop from a pippet/dropper is equal to 0.05. If it was from a needle dropper I would have specified that. I assumed it was understood that I was referring to a standard dropper/pippet.

When i'm mixing, i usually mess up by resting my elbow on the scales and cocking up the reading........
and then when i switch to using syringes, i mess up there too by accidently sitting on the syringe and getting it stuck in my arse. I then get even more confused as to how to sort the total mess out.
So to answer your question ....... Erm..... i guess i just don't know my arse from my elbow sometimes when i'm mixing.:hmm:

I mix by volume because it works for me.
I mostly mix 100ml batches.
The lowest volume I am likely to measure is 0.3 ml or 0.4 ml and a 1ml syringe is perfectly good for that.

In my early days of mixing when making 10ml samples, I would use a proper scientific pipette that is accurate to 0.01 ml.
I could have got a more accurate pipette if I had gone for a 0.5ml rather than a 1ml one.
I was offered them by a friend that works in a lab because all the technicians use scales these days so there were drawers full of unused pipettes.

There is no doubt that good scales are more accurate than volume measures that depend on human perception of fluids and lines on tubes.
I would trust my pipette over a cheap set of scales if I thought that level of accuracy was important but I doubt that most of us require that level of accuracy.

Once you have got to grips with mixing, most of us just want to do it efficiently and easily, and either volume or weight can be very easy.

As to whether you mix better than him, either he is more sloppy than you or you are putting too much weight on folk that are just buttering you up .
I totally agree that having the proper equipment is essential. And, if you get down to it, regardless of how you measure it out, the % should be the same in the end.

I don't even know why you would say these people are stroking my ego here. I have a good friend who thinks his juice is the shit and the people that get it from him are coming to me asking me to go against our mutual agreement because while they say his is good, ours has an element to it that is missing from his. They have no idea, and I am well aware the only difference is going to be how it is measured. I just want to figure out what is going on here and help a buddy out. If that bit of info wasn't relevant to my questioning, I would have never mentioned it. Essentially, it serves as a blind study. I know he knows how make juice, but there is a noticeable difference from when he started with volume. So, he is either doing something wrong, or weight isn't a better method because it allows a greater margin of error.

Everyone in the states gets their panties in a knot at this topic. Each person more convinced than the last that the are the right one and there is only one way. Completely useless to try and have an intelligent conversation about it in search of answers with someone who feels that way. If I have any chance at helping this dude out, I need to understand it. And it just simply does not make sense to me at all to make it more difficult. The only time I can see using weight would be beneficial is if you are making drums of it. Absolutely makes sense. But, he's doing around 120ml at a time, of that.

When i'm mixing, i usually mess up by resting my elbow on the scales and cocking up the reading........
and then when i switch to using syringes, i mess up there too by accidently sitting on the syringe and getting it stuck in my arse. I then get even more confused as to how to sort the total mess out.
So to answer your question ....... Erm..... i guess i just don't know my arse from my elbow sometimes when i'm mixing.:hmm:
I bet it is an interesting show to watch you fumble around then. Perhaps it's his issue also....?

IMG_2689.JPG
IMG_2685.JPG
IMG_2689.JPG
IMG_2689.JPG
So.

Having read through all this I decided to see for myself using normal digital kitchen scales and a Philips baby bottle for the liquid measurement.
My results

Back
Top Bottom