Innokin
What's new

Urmom Genesis Coil Tutorial (RSST, SS Rope, Mesh, Ribbon)

RagingMammoth

Hi Buddy, sorry to keep bugging you - but you are my voice of reason when it comes to the RSST :-)

Right, I am loving this atty the more I use it. My only niggle at the moment (well two actually)

a) the 2ml tank capacity - not a huge problem, but would have been better if it was bigger

b) Runs very hot with this SS rope/Ribbon build at 0.4 Ohm and the vape is a tad too warm for me after a heavy chain vaping session. Also, the battery life suffers as a result

I guess one resolution to (b) is to drill out the air hole even more (currently 2mm) or I could try a higher Ohm build.

..so, the question is can I build with the SS rope and Ribbon - BUT only do one set of 5 or 6 wraps (rather than doubling up)? I must admit, I am a little confused how to work out the wraps needed with this ribbon wire, especially with all the over lapping, etc - just can't get my mind around it as, surely the current will take least path of resistance and cut across the wire where it overlaps - so the usual of measuring the ohms per cm doesn't make sense (to me anyway)

Cheers

Elux
RagingMammoth

Hi Buddy, sorry to keep bugging you - but you are my voice of reason when it comes to the RSST :-)

Right, I am loving this atty the more I use it. My only niggle at the moment (well two actually)

a) the 2ml tank capacity - not a huge problem, but would have been better if it was bigger

b) Runs very hot with this SS rope/Ribbon build at 0.4 Ohm and the vape is a tad too warm for me after a heavy chain vaping session. Also, the battery life suffers as a result

I guess one resolution to (b) is to drill out the air hole even more (currently 2mm) or I could try a higher Ohm build.

..so, the question is can I build with the SS rope and Ribbon - BUT only do one set of 5 or 6 wraps (rather than doubling up)? I must admit, I am a little confused how to work out the wraps needed with this ribbon wire, especially with all the over lapping, etc - just can't get my mind around it as, surely the current will take least path of resistance and cut across the wire where it overlaps - so the usual of measuring the ohms per cm doesn't make sense (to me anyway)

Cheers

Not a problem, ask away.

Definitely drill the hole out to 3mm, it must be insanely hot at 2mm. With chainvaping, it does get incredibly hot.

To be honest?

I find that the double wrap works better as it simply covers more surface area/ produces more vapour. If it's to hot for you, have you tried turning the watts down a bit?

I never used to like a warm vape, but this coil changed it for me hugely. As I said though, drill the hole out. I would say I could lend you one of my top caps but at this time of year it's pretty pointless.

I find that any larger than 3mm the flavour starts to suffer. It definitely wicks fast enough, and puts out dripper like clouds... but it just isn't flavourful.

Also, are you using the fill plug? If it's in, you may be cooking the juice slightly if you aren't tilting enough/using high vg juice.

Not a problem, ask away.

Definitely drill the hole out to 3mm, it must be insanely hot at 2mm. With chainvaping, it does get incredibly hot.

To be honest?

I find that the double wrap works better as it simply covers more surface area/ produces more vapour. If it's to hot for you, have you tried turning the watts down a bit?

I never used to like a warm vape, but this coil changed it for me hugely. As I said though, drill the hole out. I would say I could lend you one of my top caps but at this time of year it's pretty pointless.

I find that any larger than 3mm the flavour starts to suffer. It definitely wicks fast enough, and puts out dripper like clouds... but it just isn't flavourful.

Also, are you using the fill plug? If it's in, you may be cooking the juice slightly if you aren't tilting enough/using high vg juice.

Yes, its gets insanely hot. I had leaning against a hard plastic cup and it melted it!!

will definitely drill out to 3mm (as I like an airy draw) - but I don't have the right tools (drilling out to 2mm was a right palava) - so that will have to waiting until the new year. so, was thinking of compromising and building with just one set of wraps

Yes, I am using the fill plug - but have tried it without and doesn't make much of a difference really

but, I guess the other thing is at 0.4ohms (and me chaning vaping) it goes through batteries very quickly!

I am using it on a DNA30 and IPV 2s - and have Sony VTC5 and Purple eFest batteries

I will give the one of wraps a go, but am loathed to break this build as its working so well (just bloody hot!!)

BTW - can you get separate tops caps as spares? I find mine is a little loose and easily moves so the air hole isn't aligned with the coil (have try changing the o-ring to no avail)

AcmeFog
Yes, its gets insanely hot. I had leaning against a hard plastic cup and it melted it!!

will definitely drill out to 3mm (as I like an airy draw) - but I don't have the right tools (drilling out to 2mm was a right palava) - so that will have to waiting until the new year. so, was thinking of compromising and building with just one set of wraps

Yes, I am using the fill plug - but have tried it without and doesn't make much of a difference really

but, I guess the other thing is at 0.4ohms (and me chaning vaping) it goes through batteries very quickly!

I am using it on a DNA30 and IPV 2s - and have Sony VTC5 and Purple eFest batteries

I will give the one of wraps a go, but am loathed to break this build as its working so well (just bloody hot!!)

BTW - can you get separate tops caps as spares? I find mine is a little loose and easily moves so the air hole isn't aligned with the coil (have try changing the o-ring to no avail)

Wow thats... weird. I've never used a smaller draw on the RSST than 3mm, but melting a plastic cup...? Doesn't sound right to me.

Not sure if you can get spare caps, probably not. If you look on Ebay you can normally get a plastic RSST for about a tenner.

If the build works fine, not really any point taking it out. What wattage you firing at? Is the insulator okay? Any burned tastes?

Wow thats... weird. I've never used a smaller draw on the RSST than 3mm, but melting a plastic cup...? Doesn't sound right to me.

Not sure if you can get spare caps, probably not. If you look on Ebay you can normally get a plastic RSST for about a tenner.

If the build works fine, not really any point taking it out. What wattage you firing at? Is the insulator okay? Any burned tastes?

Honestly, its gets bloody hot, cannot touch it (obviously after a good chain session)

I am playing about with wattage and think I am settling on around 22w (any higher and its gets hot too quickly). The insulator appears to be fine and, with the exception of the first tank full, when I did get a burnt taste - no burnt taste at all

Its actually vaping like a dream and if it didn't get so hot and use up the batteries so quickly - I would just stick with this

out of curiosity, when do you rebuild yours? and how to do you handle juice changes - can you just dry burn the coil? (not done that yet)

Royal Flush Vape
Honestly, its gets bloody hot, cannot touch it (obviously after a good chain session)

I am playing about with wattage and think I am settling on around 22w (any higher and its gets hot too quickly). The insulator appears to be fine and, with the exception of the first tank full, when I did get a burnt taste - no burnt taste at all

Its actually vaping like a dream and if it didn't get so hot and use up the batteries so quickly - I would just stick with this

out of curiosity, when do you rebuild yours? and how to do you handle juice changes - can you just dry burn the coil? (not done that yet)

At 22w it melted a plastic cup? Are you sure your build is okay...?

I mean, I can polish off a tank in 20 minutes at 35w but I doubt it would melt a plastic cup? It's definitely way too hot to touch though.

As for rebuilding... I generally do it every week or so. I have no need to do that whatsoever.

The original owner of the guide generally recoils his every two weeks, and vapes more than I do. You don't need to rewick it ever really. Once you get a perfect wick, you'll know it. Just stick to it and recoil it when it doesn't produce as much vapour as it used to.

I really do suggest drilling it out to 3mm. I can imagine that would cool it down substantially.

Edit: As for dry burning? I don't bother. I syringe the tank out, and put the new flavour in. I tilt and fire until I can smell the new flavour instead of the old one. Sounds primitive, but it works for me.

At 22w it melted a plastic cup? Are you sure your build is okay...?

I mean, I can polish off a tank in 20 minutes at 35w but I doubt it would melt a plastic cup? It's definitely way too hot to touch though.

As for rebuilding... I generally do it every week or so. I have no need to do that whatsoever.

The original owner of the guide generally recoils his every two weeks, and vapes more than I do. You don't need to rewick it ever really. Once you get a perfect wick, you'll know it. Just stick to it and recoil it when it doesn't produce as much vapour as it used to.

I really do suggest drilling it out to 3mm. I can imagine that would cool it down substantially.

Edit: As for dry burning? I don't bother. I syringe the tank out, and put the new flavour in. I tilt and fire until I can smell the new flavour instead of the old one. Sounds primitive, but it works for me.

No! at 22w its just very hot to the touch. the plastic cup incident happened after a good 15min chain vape (1/2 tank) at 35-37w (when I was experimenting) - and to put things into perspective, it was one of those cheap water cooler type cups (not the type for hot drinks - now that would be worrying)

personally, I think the build is fine, not shorts, or hot/cold spots - it fired pretty even. got the legs quite close together, so they didn't glow after the pulse firing.

Perhaps I will get the hole drilled out first and see how I get on....

So, regarding the rewicking, its sounds like it works opposite to a normal microcoil/cotton build? in other words, KEEP the wick and recoil (rather than keep the coil and rewick) - have I got that right? - doesn't the SS rope and mesh clog up?

BTW Thanks so much for all your help - much appreciated!

Vape Green
No! at 22w its just very hot to the touch. the plastic cup incident happened after a good 15min chain vape (1/2 tank) at 35-37w (when I was experimenting) - and to put things into perspective, it was one of those cheap water cooler type cups (not the type for hot drinks - now that would be worrying)

personally, I think the build is fine, not shorts, or hot/cold spots - it fired pretty even. got the legs quite close together, so they didn't glow after the pulse firing.

Perhaps I will get the hole drilled out first and see how I get on....

So, regarding the rewicking, its sounds like it works opposite to a normal microcoil/cotton build? in other words, KEEP the wick and recoil (rather than keep the coil and rewick) - have I got that right? - doesn't the SS rope and mesh clog up?

BTW Thanks so much for all your help - much appreciated!

Ah, glad you cleared up the plastic cup scenario. That sounds plausible now.

Yeah, keep the wick and recoil. If the wick is decent that is, if not just make a new wick and then recoil it.

The wick doesn't gunk up at all. It just gets oxidised more. Genesis atomizers are weird.

If you are feeling cheap, theres no reason you can't unwrap the mesh (if you can do that when it's stuck to the wick, never tried it) and torch the rope and wrap more mesh around it. I imagine that would work fine.

I have a load of rope and wire so I don't really care about using it. I could do with some more mesh though.

As for helping, I really don't mind at all. I'm glad my guide and advice is actually helping someone.

The Electronic Cigarette Company
Thought I'd update this manic_asif

I tried reusing a wick, worked fine. 10/10 would do again.

Thanks for letting me know.

Haven't got around to doing anything else with the RSST, as decided to get away for xmas and just got back last night! will have a play over the next couple of days.

but as you say, the wick isn't the hard part anyway - its getting the coil right

My plan is to get another RSST with the adjustable cap and use your double wrap ribbon on that and build a new coil my current one (2mm air hole), but just do one set of wraps and build to around 0.8ohms, so I don't have the heating issue

Back
Top Bottom