What's new

What dual coil should I build for clouds?

Diche

Veteran
I now have everything I need for my cloudchasing rig :D All it needs are some coils.

I was going to try for something like 5 wraps of 0.6 on a 2mm drill bit dual coiled which should give me about 0.15ohms, but is that the best I can do?

I have 0.3, 0.32, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7 and some ribbon that I hate using so I am gonna leave that stuff well alone for now. I don't mind twisting, my dremel makes short work of the task so that is a distinct possibility, but I am running a tobh with standard post holes so there is a limit to what I can stuff in there, the dremel might come in handy for that at a later date, but not just yet :grin2:

I now have everything I need for my cloudchasing rig :D All it needs are some coils.

I was going to try for something like 5 wraps of 0.6 on a 2mm drill bit dual coiled which should give me about 0.15ohms, but is that the best I can do?

I have 0.3, 0.32, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7 and some ribbon that I hate using so I am gonna leave that stuff well alone for now. I don't mind twisting, my dremel makes short work of the task so that is a distinct possibility, but I am running a tobh with standard post holes so there is a limit to what I can stuff in there, the dremel might come in handy for that at a later date, but not just yet :grin2:

Can you wrap single strands?
If so, 0.6 and 0.5 Parralel 4 wraps. Don't think it'd fit if you didn't single strand it....

If not. Worth learning to do :)

Can you wrap single strands?
If so, 0.6 and 0.5 Parralel 4 wraps. Don't think it'd fit if you didn't single strand it....

If not. Worth learning to do :)

I think I know what a parallel is, like creating a coil from two wires lying next to each other rather than twisted together. I think that build would be a non starter though as the hole in the positive post is only about 1.4mm, unless you mean just single coil it, but that would be less than ideal with the airflow setup. This build is for ensuring a bloke down the pub coughs up a lung rather than #teamsinglecoil. :grin2:

Well I won't say these are the prettiest parallel coils I have ever see, but they seem to heat up quite well. 0.4mm kanthal 2mm drill bit 5 wraps. I think I could have fitted the larger kanthal in, but I also think on my first attempt I would have squished the coils in the process.
IMG_20140831_224059461_zps9ozb3dca.jpg

@Raguri Do I get a pat on the head? :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom