What's new

hmm, I need a chemist. wire help!

Raguri

Nutter!
So then guys and girls, a while ago I was given a load of wire off a member here, I came to the conclusion that some of it wasn't safe to vape due to it leaving titanium oxides on the wire when heated.
However. There's one wire left to try, and I need some help with if it's okay to use. The wire itself, is pure chromium which will allow me.to run very stupid resistances very easily. Since I'm out of my usual wire and broke until next Saturday. I'm tempted.
But, my question is this.
Kanthal has a low percentage of chromium and chromium is used as a heating wire for hot cutting. But. Is it safe to vape with?

So then guys and girls, a while ago I was given a load of wire off a member here, I came to the conclusion that some of it wasn't safe to vape due to it leaving titanium oxides on the wire when heated.
However. There's one wire left to try, and I need some help with if it's okay to use. The wire itself, is pure chromium which will allow me.to run very stupid resistances very easily. Since I'm out of my usual wire and broke until next Saturday. I'm tempted.
But, my question is this.
Kanthal has a low percentage of chromium and chromium is used as a heating wire for hot cutting. But. Is it safe to vape with?
Is that the wire i sent you rags,it was from stealthvape.

Raguri the only thing I can find at the mo is it carries a H400 hazard code which is very toxic to aquatic life ?

I would do a bit more googling before using matey

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

I wouldn't want to vape Chromium other than trace amounts @Raguri. There are different types of Chromium and some are more dangerous than others, Chromium 6 is a bit of a nasty bastard and particularly risky through inhalation.

A little amount in kanthal is a different beast to a pure chromium wire IMO - if it was from @stealthvape though I am sure Rob has done his research and will be able to tell you if it is trivalent Cr or hexavalent cr

Last edited:
Surely pure chromium would be brittle as fuck ?
And cutting wire for foam doesn't get very hot

Sent from (who cares) using Planet of the Vapes

Last edited:
How about this Raguri
Postage may be a bugger though

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes1403955192.249355.jpg

Is that the wire i sent you rags,it was from stealthvape.

Raguri the only thing I can find at the mo is it carries a H400 hazard code which is very toxic to aquatic life ?

I would do a bit more googling before using matey

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

I wouldn't want to vape Chromium other than trace amounts @Raguri. There are different types of Chromium and some are more dangerous than others, Chromium 6 is a bit of a nasty bastard and particularly risky through inhalation.

A little amount in kanthal is a different beast to a pure chromium wire IMO - if it was from @stealthvape though I am sure Rob has done his research and will be able to tell you if it is trivalent Cr or hexavalent cr

Not from rob, this is 0.8mm chromium wire but unsure of the grade, was sent by a welder on here who sent me a shed load of wire to see if I could even coil with it. It's actually nice to work with. Bloody stiff, but not as bad as flamed 0.8 kanthal... having.issues breaking the 0.07 barrier and the chromium could hit 0.04 with ease!!!! :( will look it up but can't find.much about heat and inhalation.

Not from rob, this is 0.8mm chromium wire but unsure of the grade, was sent by a welder on here who sent me a shed load of wire to see if I could even coil with it. It's actually nice to work with. Bloody stiff, but not as bad as flamed 0.8 kanthal... having.issues breaking the 0.07 barrier and the chromium could hit 0.04 with ease!!!! :( will look it up but can't find.much about heat and inhalation.

Mig welding wire gives off toxic vapour at varying levels depending on materials being welded stainless welding wire contains high chromium content (hexavalent)
Not nice to inhale at welding levels
Not sure at vaping levels but personally would not risk it as a dry hit could vaporise the wire
http://www.jespear.com/articles/weldingchrom-1.pdf

Last edited:
I wouldn't use welding wire Raguri, as sparkyjuice says it is likely to be Cr 6 (hexavalent) and is a known carcinogen that causes major issues with respiratory systems.

I wouldn't use welding wire Raguri, as sparkyjuice says it is likely to be Cr 6 (hexavalent) and is a known carcinogen that causes major issues with respiratory systems.

Basically stay away from welding wire
All kick out nasty shit you don't want to inhale

Back
Top Bottom