What's new

Help!

Catlow88

Postman
Morning all!

Realise it's gone midnight but what better time to try and build a coil for the first time!

So, following some advice I tried to build a 0.8 ohm dual coil on my new and shiny Crown RDA. I have done this using 5 wraps of 0.3 kanthal wire and used voodoo wool for the wick. Below is a photo of my first attempt....

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes1400972860.778661.jpg

I screwed it onto my Segelei and it recorded 0.8 ohms - exactly what I was hoping for!!

So, applied my fluid - made sure it all soaked through nicely, picked a medium airflow and started to vape at 13W to start with, nothing. Kicked it up to 20W and the Crown heated up a lot but got a very, very faint puff of vapour. Almost nothing in fact. A bog standard iClear 16 would have given me more vapour!

So clearly I've done something wrong - my question is, what?

Any pointers gratefully received!

Catlow

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

Looking at the pic several things seem wrong the coil is massive for a start in diameter add to the fact its 0.3 kanthal (thicker wire = less resistance). if you must use vooodoowool wrap the coil with your voodoowool threaded on a dressmakers pin or sewing needle. Heat the voodoowool first with a lighter or torch and it will go stiff making it easier to wrap a coil that touches the wick evenly. wrap it tight but not too tight that it chokes the wick. I find it easier using a small drillbit to wrap the coil on or the small screwdrivers supplied with some rba's and use organic cotton wool. Hope this is of some help.

ps Also the top coil 2 are touching which will count as one wrap. They are only meant to touch on a microcoil or nanocoil

These pics may help

Attachments

• 17 firing.jpg
    17 firing.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 16 juiced up.jpg
    16 juiced up.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Looks like the coil is shorting on the sides of the dripper once the top cap in on, just coil a little tighter so the coil does not over hang the edge and you'll be fine

I agree. Coils are BIG and they do look like they're touching your dripper which will cause a short. What's the diameter of the ekowool? Is it doubled up? It looks like a ton of wick. Smaller coils, positioned away from the posts, base and sides should help.

Best of luck.

Hi all and thank you for your replies! To answer the questions - the coils are big! But I was advised to go for 4mm coils by the rebuildable master himself!

The Voodoowool as a result is also 4mm diameter so shrinking the coil size down would make wicking it difficult!

I think tomorrow morning I will strip it all out, rebuild it still at 4mm but play closer attention to the coil positioning and possibly use less wick this time! I'll post another photo of the new build tomorrow and will welcome more tips!

Thanks for your help so far all!

Catlow

So unfortunately, attempt numbers 2 & 3 have also been complete failures!

If I was to change to a 3mm coil, how many wraps would I need to have a dual coil @ 0.8?

I'm also going to swap to cotton. I'm sure voodoowool is great but it's damn fiddly to wick!

You can buy pre made coils so you can use ur rda whilst you practice coil building

It's not making the coil in struggling with! That's relatively straight forward - it's attaching it to the RDA and wicking it!

Back
Top Bottom