What's new

First hand unscientific thoughts of AW batteries vs Efest

Colonelboom

Vendor
As mentioned in the title this is totally unscientific but is something I experience through daily use of two different (very different, actually) batteries and also something I have mentioned to friends over a few weeks. I would be interested to hear other people's thoughts.

I primarily use two batteries at the moment, an AW 1100mah 18500 and an Efest 2500mah Purple 18650 - the AW is rated at (I believe) 16 amps and the Efest advertised as a 35amp. Out of the two I would expect that the Efest not only lasts considerably longer due to capacity but also does not drain as quickly at low resistance.

My setup: SS nemesis clone and a genuine Origen V1, dual twisted coil with Bastos wick coming out at 0.5ohm - my vaping habit is pretty consistent so I do have not been hammering one battery and not the other. Both get charged on an intellicharger i4 until the third light remains constant. I have been making a concious effort to keep things consistent over the four day weekend and have only been using Colonel Boom Comino to vape on with both batteries.

When I first started using the Efest I had expected it to last much longer than the AW, it takes forever to charge to capacity and just based on time would indicate that capacity is more than double that of the AW, through normal use I seem to get just under a full day before the voltage drop off is noticable and ought to be recharged but can push through this and get just over a day of full use before it needs to be charged again - not fully drained but at a point where it is not doing it's job.

Compared to the AW battery, I just managed a full day before I noticed the drop off, 1.5 days before it ought to have been charged and around 1.75 days was the point that it was so weak it needed charging. Logically this should not happen, the 1100mah battery should drain much faster than the 2500mah, the drop off on the 2500mah should come later also but from experience it would seem that while the Efest is rated at 35amps as a burst it is not capable of handling high amps and keep capacity at the same time.

I want to grab hold of a couple of VTC5's now and do a side by side against the three, if what I read about the VTC5 is accurate I expect that the Sony will outlast the AW by quite a margin, the AW will still outperform the Efest though - I wonder how well the current AW and Efest compare when used on atomisers above 1ohm and if the Efest lasts as long as it should, for me though the whole point of the Efest purple range is for low resistance (high drain) applications and it does not seem to perform as expected.

***** added VTC5 *****

So, having borrowed a VTC5 from jeffhds I gave it a run on the intellicharger to be sure it was properly topped up. Putting it into service it hits well and on a full charge seems comparable to that of the Efest so no major surprise there. I am now able to add my particular findings on this battery - again the same atomiser and mod using the same coil as the previous tests - only washed with water and dry burned.

I have managed to run this battery for more than 2.5 days, after 2 days the drop off was noticeable but still performing OK really, 2 days it now is a point where it needs a charge - not fully depleted though but just down to the level of performance I don't get much from.

So, as a very unscientific test, based only on experience across a few days but using the same equipment I do believe that sony have a major edge with the VTC5, then AW still for me handle high drain applications more gracefully with the Efest being badged up as the big Amp limit but once put under a load seem less capable of keeping up with it.

Last edited:
Interesting! Thanks 4 that. I use aw battery's & was think'n about get'n the 35amp efests. I've came 2 realize I'm happy vapin around 0.8 to 1 ohm so 35amps not a must 4 me! I was think'n more about battery life. Seems from ur study's I'm better stick'n with the AW.

I've got some vtc3 and vtc5, I can lend you one of each for a couple of weeks if you like ? it would be interesting to see how they fair.

I have the Sony VTC4's and was thinking of buying the Efests next, glad I didn't though as I vape between 0.3 and 0.6 ohms. The Sony run about 6 to 14 hours (depending on coil resistances) and also just how much voltage drop I get, if the mechs get a little oxidisation and voltage drop increases an amount, the duration can drop by several hours but rarely under 6 hours off a charge.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

+1 vtc5 holds down to 3.6 v all day vape for me on a mech and dripper at 1ohm

Sent from (who cares) using Planet of the Vapes

To be fair it may be an erroneous result from my single cell so I wanted to offer it out there for people to add to. I am certainly less than blown away by the Efest at low resistance though and expected it to handle high drain a bit more elegantly than it appears to.

I've got some vtc3 and vtc5, I can lend you one of each for a couple of weeks if you like ? it would be interesting to see how they fair.

I will borrow a vtc5 for a couple of days if you like Jeff, as I already have a benchmark with the other two it will be interesting to see how it goes over two charge cycles and I can compare it.

I just had a look at those gords1001, I remember you mentioning INR's before. I clicked through on another cell available on FT (LG He2 model) which looks really interesting too, 35a peak, 30a continuous and just under £8 a pair may be worth a punt to experiment on.

I'm convinced the lg cells are whats under the purple wrappers. Both efest and aw are merely wrapping companies like keeppower enerpower trusfire orbtronic callies custons etc. Although B1mble recorded a lower volt drop with the sonys than the samsungs, I find my samsungs to be more kick ass than the sonys

But the difference was only 40 millivolts and is probably within the error boundary. My Fluke is a long time out of calibration.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Back
Top Bottom