What's new

Electrical shocks /voltage leaks with mechanical mods whilst sub-ohm.

It might be advisable to turn the light off so you can see where your voltage is leaking from and then stick a finger in that hole to stop it.

The atty and coil build seems fine. Its all a learning experience for me and I have found this happens on virtually all telescopic mods I have tried eg Smok Magneto, Galileo, Sigeili 19 + 20 In effect there is a short on the telescopic threading as there will not be solid contact. For 0.4-0.5 ohm single or parallel build , which is my all day use favourite resistance in Russian types there is no problem.

I like 0.2-0.3ohm on drippers and so far I have found that twisted 4*0.3mm wire (I didnt have any thicker wire at the time) in a single coil is my favourite for taste but with the low ohms then the problems start. There is not any shorting with the atty, it does obviously get really hot but sudden vicious heat which I assume is a short, coming from the bottom or telescopic joints detracts from the flavour and enjoyment. The Nemesis types are fine, I only use 18650's but I have a variety of batteries and the sizing is slightly different. Sometimes extending the pins to their max to cope with a slightly shorter battery means the pins are too wobbly and again shorts and heat.

I think Raguri's suggestions of a good single body 18650 mod should do the trick, his Stingray is one suggestion. I just don't want to buy an expensive mod to find out it is not very good for 0.2-0.4ohm, so after any tried and tested mod suggestions if anyone has any more that would be great. A cheap mod that works would be even better :-)

Cheers
Anthony

The atty and coil build seems fine. Its all a learning experience for me and I have found this happens on virtually all telescopic mods I have tried eg Smok Magneto, Galileo, Sigeili 19 + 20 In effect there is a short on the telescopic threading as there will not be solid contact. For 0.4-0.5 ohm single or parallel build , which is my all day use favourite resistance in Russian types there is no problem.

I like 0.2-0.3ohm on drippers and so far I have found that twisted 4*0.3mm wire (I didnt have any thicker wire at the time) in a single coil is my favourite for taste but with the low ohms then the problems start. There is not any shorting with the atty, it does obviously get really hot but sudden vicious heat which I assume is a short, coming from the bottom or telescopic joints detracts from the flavour and enjoyment. The Nemesis types are fine, I only use 18650's but I have a variety of batteries and the sizing is slightly different. Sometimes extending the pins to their max to cope with a slightly shorter battery means the pins are too wobbly and again shorts and heat.

I think Raguri's suggestions of a good single body 18650 mod should do the trick, his Stingray is one suggestion. I just don't want to buy an expensive mod to find out it is not very good for 0.2-0.4ohm, so after any tried and tested mod suggestions if anyone has any more that would be great. A cheap mod that works would be even better :-)

Cheers
Anthony

Hi Anthony hope you are well? is John unable to sort it for you?
Mick

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Hi Mick, all well. You too I hope!

John has built himself the biggest box mod, thick copper leads, connections and certainly no shorting problems there. Hopefully he will post a pic, huge vapour. There is only so many mods a person can gather and test.

Ant.

Cheers
Anthony

copper nemesis m-vapes or vapegeek

Get some scotch bright and give all ypur threaded area's, both inside and out, all switch contacts, 510 pin (remove obviously) a damm good polishing, wire wool is also good but wash everything thoroughly afterwards to get rid of all the debris.

I've had more problems with genuine mods that clobes in this respect tbh, but it sounds like your getting a poor contact somewhere.

You could also cut a piece of kanthal long enough to give .2 ohm, fit it in the atty thats giving issues and test with that. If the issue goes away you know its something in the atty build. I suspect though that its dirty threads somewhere.

If your absolutely set on buying a new mod. Try a brass stingray clone first. They are dirt cheap and the one I was treated too fron focalcig has been nothing short of flawless in operation, with an extremely low volt drop. I'm running it at .13ohn and really cannot complain at all.

Cheers for the suggestions. I have now just ordered a copper stingray style :grin2: and I already have a 26650 copper Hades style on the way. While I wait I am thinking about using some copper leaf sheets to wrap on the telescopic threads to try and improve the contact, after cleaning.

I've just started getting the same with a hcigar nemesis. The build is in between .2 - .3. The zap come from where the 350 650 tubes join. The build is definitely ok, no fluctuation that's noticeable.

I've degreased and washed well. The threads aren't immaculate, the tools used to cut the thread probably weren't at their sharpest. The threads feel a little loose when screwing together which I suspect is the problem.

The problem wasn't there at above .3. It's only a tiny zap so I can live with it for now while I play but it's not going to be dangerous is it?

Last edited:
I've just started getting the same with a hcigar nemesis. The build is in between .2 - .3. The zap come from where the 350 650 tubes join. The build is definitely ok, no fluctuation that's noticeable.

I've degreased and washed well. The threads aren't immaculate, the tools used to cut the thread probably weren't at their sharpest. The threads feel a little loose when screwing together which I suspect is the problem.

The problem wasn't there at above .3. It's only a tiny zap so I can live with it for now while I play but it's not going to be dangerous is it?

You're really getting a shock from 4v ?
I play with 24v all day long and never have I been shocked at low voltage

Sent from (who cares) using Planet of the Vapes

Back
Top Bottom