What's new

Confusion with dual coil and amps

ianh

Postman
Right I'm trying to get my head around finding out the amps for a dual coil set up but think I'm getting confused. I've made a 0.35 dual coil, my batteries are Samsung 25r on a sigelei 150 so 20amp limit.

My understanding is that in an ohms law calculator I would put in 0.7 for the ohms and 35watts ( if I'm running it at 70 watts) which would give me 7.071 amps which I would double to give me 14.142 which is within the 20amp limit.

Is that right? If so I could put it upto 140 watts before I would hit the 20 amp limit?

your amp draw on your battery is the resistance of your dual coil divided by the voltage of your battery

Had said the ohms was for a dual coil build... i would read that as both coils give that ohms overall... if not yes it needs doubling... post not entirely clear... ianh please clarify

And please check and double check. .. ask around. .. whatever to ensure you are safe... I just run mech mods which is simpler... I know from checking around that my batteries are safe on a mech down to 0.17 ohms.. and I still run above 0.3 or higher (more safety margin) even though I could go way lower. .. I don't fully understand ohms law but I do know knowledgeable people that I can ask and I always check my coils/builds so I know i am safe. .. adding vw into tge equation complicates things too much for my simplistic approach to work though. .. you do need to understand the maths behind it... if you don't then don't do it

Had said the ohms was for a dual coil build... i would read that as both coils give that ohms overall... if not yes it needs doubling... post not entirely clear... ianh please clarify

Sorry, got confused a bit writing it myself.

The build is a dual coil, each coil reading at 0.7 so giving reading of 0.35 when set up in rda. Running at 70 watts, I believe I'm getting 14.142 amps?

From what I understand that 70 watts is getting spread evenly across both coils so giving each one 35 watts?

I havnt run it yet oldhippydude , want to know it's safe and that I understand it all first.

Right I'm trying to get my head around finding out the amps for a dual coil set up but think I'm getting confused. I've made a 0.35 dual coil, my batteries are Samsung 25r on a sigelei 150 so 20amp limit.

My understanding is that in an ohms law calculator I would put in 0.7 for the ohms and 35watts ( if I'm running it at 70 watts) which would give me 7.071 amps which I would double to give me 14.142 which is within the 20amp limit.

Is that right? If so I could put it upto 140 watts before I would hit the 20 amp limit?

You should use the resistance as measured at the 510 connection, you will have obtained this by checking the build on either a Regulated mod or a resistance reader. If you have neither of these then a multimeter will suffice but in the absence of any of those three you should not be building coils.

As for the difference between single and multiple coil builds there is no real difference in terms of the current draw - A single coil build measuring 0.35 at the 510 will draw the same current as a dual coil build measuring 0.35 at the 510. the confusion results from the fact that in a dual coil build the individual coils wil be double the resistance of the total build - but only if measured at the coil terminals.

So for a dual coil build you should read the ohms from the 510 and calculate exactly the same as a single coil build...

You should use the resistance as measured at the 510 connection, you will have obtained this by checking the build on either a Regulated mod or a resistance reader. If you have neither of these then a multimeter will suffice but in the absence of any of those three you should not be building coils.

As for the difference between single and multiple coil builds there is no real difference in terms of the current draw - A single coil build measuring 0.35 at the 510 will draw the same current as a dual coil build measuring 0.35 at the 510. the confusion results from the fact that in a dual coil build the individual coils wil be double the resistance of the total build - but only if measured at the coil terminals.

So for a dual coil build you should read the ohms from the 510 and calculate exactly the same as a single coil build...

Yes have all 3, the reading on resistance reader gives me 0.35.

Entering this into ohms law calculator gives me 14.142 amps at 70 watts, which would be within my 20 amp limit?

Back
Top Bottom