What's new

Confused or Cautious New Mech User

Alseyn Balveda

Initiate
Hi all, just purchased my first mech mod a LoS Consvr with a Kennedy 25mm rda.

I thought I understood ohms law but when it comes to vaping I feel I'm receiving conflicting info. According to my calculations to safely vape on a Sammy 25R I need to keep my builds above about 0.22Ω. However, LoS' own information leaflet states recommended builds between 0.08 and 0.15Ω.

I've tried at 0.28 and its just not good, on a reg mod I normally build at approximately 0.13-0.17 which I enjoy. I think I just need reassurance that my preffered build is not going to result venting.

Thanks

Hence my confusion. The mod manufacturer made the battery and resistance recommendations. Also everyone I know who uses a mech uses Sammy 25R or VTC5 batteries yet vapes at or below 0.15Ω.

At 0.28Ω I might as well be vaping an EGO-T type vape pen as far as flavour/vapour go's.

I'm determined to be smart and have bought half a dozen 25R cells and have existing HG2's so I can replace batteries regularly.

Personally I wouldn't want to push a 25r that hard, but I'm sure others do.

In fact I'm almost certain that part of the mech appeal is to push your equipment to the very brink in order to prove something and you might get away with it for a while using the pulse ratings but what when your button gets stuck?

If you want to go that low get yourself some Sony's and do it safely, no amount of cloud is worth getting burnt for or even the panic of a rapidly venting battery and damaged equipment.

Hence my confusion. The mod manufacturer made the battery and resistance recommendations. Also everyone I know who uses a mech uses Sammy 25R or VTC5 batteries yet vapes at or below 0.15Ω.

At 0.28Ω I might as well be vaping an EGO-T type vape pen as far as flavour/vapour go's.

I'm determined to be smart and have bought half a dozen 25R cells and have existing HG2's so I can replace batteries regularly.

Buy some Sony VCT5a make sure they are 5a. and also leave 30 seconds or more between each pull. the 5a battery has a higher threshold than a samsung 25r. To be fair though why you need to build that low is behond me a 0.25 or 0.3 should give enough vapour to create big clouds, if you want more flavour just buy another dripper meant for flavour, I hear the Hadaly is one. If your not getting a good vape then maybe something is wrong with how its set up strip it all down make sure its clean and start over. You could just have purchased a high wattage mod instead of a mech and go even lower than 0.15. You might also want to consider a Smok tfv12 or ijoy eco tank if it massive clouds you want and use it on a regulated device.
Mechs are nice to use but where originally used to outdo the older wattage boxes, nowadays high wattage mods are safer for cloud chasing and will provide more power.
You can go the route you planeed originally but be prepared to use much lighter and you will also go through batteries much faster in terms of how many times you can charge them up overstress a lot may lead to venting etc, just overstressing lightly will kill off the battery meaning it will be useless faster

It's been pointed out that using 18650's for vaping is 'extreme use' for that type of battery and 'normal use' can kill the battery easily in a few months even in regulated devices.

When you're using a mech it's YOUR responsibility to do what you think is safe and UNDERSTAND what you are actually doing with the equipment you have. Have a couple of mechs I use them like I used to treat myself to a fine cigar and build around 0.15 to 0.25 to get a reasonable vape (0.18 seems to get the best results) using them them with VTC5s is stretching their abilities and safe use into slightly dangerous territory if you chain vape but used wisely for short periods will not put any undue stress on the battery (in my experience)

I have seriously drained a battery doing this so it took a long time to recover properly in the charger when I first started messing with mechs. My advice is to LEARN SLOWLY and to begin with use them for short periods and check what its actually doing to your batteries and mods. Are they getting warm/hot? how depleted are your batteries? What voltage are they at when you've finished? How fast do they recover in the charger? etc.

Keep an eye on what you're doing and take the time to learn your own safety limitations until you are confident in what you are doing.

The CAPS are for emphasis not shouting in this case (oh gawd, thats a painful pun, sorry)

Thanks everyone. I've found my spot which is at 0.17Ω. I don't chain vape and am finding the batteries I'm using not getting warm. I'm replacing them at what feels sensible intervals and they are charging quite quickly since I'm only using them till I notice a slight drop in performance.

Again thanks for the sensible advice.

Great advice above. I would say as long as you're a generally careful person using genuine batteries below their max then you should be okay if you pay attention to it. Note I do say genuine as fake sonys or samsungs are about and pushing one of them close to max would be scary AF. I liked mechs for quite a while, the simplicity is beautiful and as long as you're on the ball they're great but I'm a really active person, one time I hadn't fully spun a button lock had it in my pocket as I'm walking along the road listening to music, felt my pocket getting warm and looked down with clouds pouring out and managed to pull it out with a stuck button and unstick it in time but it was damn hot by then and it got close to me just dropping it and walking/'running away from it. I realised I'm just not a careful enough person to handle them whilst out and about and a mod with an auto cutoff suits me much more.

Does a vape at .20 or so differ so much from .50? I really don't get this sort of vaping.

Does a vape at .20 or so differ so much from .50? I really don't get this sort of vaping.

My answer would be "hmmm, only a little bit" for me anyway, there will always be extremes in everything though :), religion,politics,sports,vaping :)

Back
Top Bottom