What's new

Claptons with a parallel strand

onion

Achiever
Made a Clapton with a parallel strand running between the wraps. The Clapton is UD 26/32, the extra strand was 28g.

Am I right to think that the extra strand will help to heat the coil more quickly but shouldn't affect overall resistance? This seems to be the case.

Got to wondering tonight what the effect would be if I used 24g wire. Presumably the resistance would drop as the current would travel down the 24g rather than the Clapton.

Assuming this is right, how will this change the way the coil performs? Is standard practice to use a higher resistance wire for the parallel or a lower resistance?

This is quite interesting just got in to these sorts of builds my self quite interested to see what the apes have to say

Do you mean like this?
ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes1450224364.498758.jpg

Sorry it's old, and used, it's 26/32 Clapton with a 22 parallel was about .3 I think.

It's a staged heating coil, so the two wires heat up at different rates, it was good for flavour and chucked as well.

The non Clapton wire (if equal or thinner gauge than the Clapton core) will heat up quicker as it has less mass (and if thinner higher resistance) and will make the ramp-up time quicker. With kanthal you can actually see the bare wire go hot first. It will lower the resistance compared to just the Clapton because it's a now a parallel coil. You can figure out how much but even then always test your build on an ohm-meter and be sure it's safe to fire on your mod. steam-engine.org can help.

Never did do much in the way or experimenting with this setup but might revisit over Christmas when I've got some time off...

yep just nice - though I cheat a little :)

here is what I do: 32AWG Stapled and staged with twisted 2 strand 28AWG SS 316L

f4ihwWD.jpg

jrUwknU.jpg

FPKY8HK.jpg

T7VzGDk.jpg

quick fire @125Watts on my VS DNA200
dAcrCA2.jpg

Full fire @125Watts on my VS DNA200
jSjdL14.jpg

Heheh that'll do it!
"As you can see it certainly produces plenty of vapour"

Back