What's new

Advice needed on RDA coil builds

Lee

Vendor
After vaping my dna30 for a few months with a subtank getting board of it now so it's up for sale. Have since bought a panzer mech mod and plume veil.

Problem is can't seem to build anything decent. I'm aware of all the safety stuff got ohm meter and multi meter etc using sony vtc4 30 amp batteries have 28awg and 32awg kanthal and organic jap cotton also a coil jig with various diameter bits.

So how many wraps? What diameter? Loose or tight? What ohm? Dual or single?

Used to build kayfuns no problem at 1.2 ohms that vaped a treat what's going wrong? I built one today dual coil 0.8 ohms looked perfect nice and tight proper wicking no hot spots made with 32awg and seemed to take ages to heat up even with a fresh battery! Good taste but very thin poor vapour.

I want huge clouds help please!

After vaping my dna30 for a few months with a subtank getting board of it now so it's up for sale. Have since bought a panzer mech mod and plume veil.

Problem is can't seem to build anything decent. I'm aware of all the safety stuff got ohm meter and multi meter etc using sony vtc4 30 amp batteries have 28awg and 32awg kanthal and organic jap cotton also a coil jig with various diameter bits.

Used to build kayfuns no problem at 1.2 ohms that vaped a treat what's going wrong? I built one today dual coil 0.8 ohms looked perfect nice and tight proper wicking no hot spots made with 32awg and seemed to take ages to heat up even with a fresh battery! Good taste but very thin poor vapour.

Build lower.

0.8 ohm is fairly average for a dripper.

With your battery, I would use 0.35mm Kanthal, dual parallel coil and 6 wraps around a 2mm drill bit.

Also don't go crazy on the airflow.

Sometimes too much airflow will ruin your inhale, meaning puny vapour.

As always check your resistance before using on a mech in case of shorts and always make sure your batteries are up to the job.

I usually aim for 6/7/8 wraps for everything although there isn't any rules.

What ohms are you aiming for?

Try:

Duel coils 8 wraps of the .32 / 28 awg around something thats 2.5mm.. Taking it to .6ohms..or less wraps / lower ohms.

You should get some thicker wire for clouds.

Last edited:

Try a single coil of twisted 0.3mm wire. Far better results. Or try do a parallel build with the 0.3mm.
Better yet, get some thicker wire 0.4mm at the least.
If you're using a mech to power 2 *1.6 ohm coils, you ain't going to get anywhere fast, the power is being wasted trying to heat 2 coils instead of one.

Use this to sort yourself out: Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Build lower.

0.8 ohm is fairly average for a dripper.

With your battery, I would use 0.35mm Kanthal, dual parallel coil and 6 wraps around a 2mm drill bit.

Also don't go crazy on the airflow.

Sometimes too much airflow will ruin your inhale, meaning puny vapour.

As always check your resistance before using on a mech in case of shorts and always make sure your batteries are up to the job.

Thanks for the advice parallel meaning winding 2 strands together? Have only really built 1 ohm + basic coils for kayfuns etc when I wrap say 7 wraps 28awg comes out at like 6 ohm or something stupid all the coils I see look thick gauge and long mine look like hair thin and short? Confused

Try a single coil of twisted 0.3mm wire. Far better results. Or try do a parallel build with the 0.3mm.
Better yet, get some thicker wire 0.4mm at the least.
If you're using a mech to power 2 *1.6 ohm coils, you ain't going to get anywhere fast, the power is being wasted trying to heat 2 coils instead of one.

Use this to sort yourself out: Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Would you mind explaining. Am I right in thinking thicker wire less resistance? Thicker wire heats quicker? I guess I'm trying to achieve something long more surface area low ohms maybe 0.5? Or lower? 7 wraps of my 32awg looks very short and makes high ohms I'm really confused I thought I'd done plenty of reaseach obviously not lol

So by twisting two 0.3 strands together I'm halving the resistance meaning I need to do double the wraps of a single strand is this correct?

Would you mind explaining. Am I right in thinking thicker wire less resistance? Thicker wire heats quicker? I guess I'm trying to achieve something long more surface area low ohms maybe 0.5? Or lower? 7 wraps of my 32awg looks very short and makes high ohms I'm really confused I thought I'd done plenty of reaseach obviously not lol
Aye, thicker wire, less resistance.
uploadfromtaptalk1421920467137.jpg Cheers muchly to joe clay for this pic!

I use mostly 0.5mm wire in my Mephisto, so best you get onto Stealhvape and make a wee order for thicker stuff. Have a go thro' thon Steam coil engine as it is a very useful guide to what you can do with various thickness, wraps and so on.
Do try twisting the 0.3mm wire you have tho', you'll get far more surface area and a great vape - again, the numbers can be put in the Steam engine!

Thicker wire is less resistance, but it doesn't heat quicker.

Therefore you have to get the balance between size of coil and thickness of the wire.

When using thicker wire you want fewer wraps to avoid long ramp up time.

With 7 wraps of 32 ash should not be crazy high ohms but won't give you the clouds you want. It's almost Kayfun / Taifun type build.

Out of interest How high is the resistance?
You definitely not got a short?

It's a learning curve, enjoy it and don't get too hung up.

Every fail build is a step closer to a good one.

Thicker wire is less resistance, but it doesn't heat quicker.

Therefore you have to get the balance between size of coil and thickness of the wire.

When using thicker wire you want fewer wraps to avoid long ramp up time.

With 7 wraps of 32 ash should not be crazy high ohms but won't give you the clouds you want. It's almost Kayfun / Taifun type build.

Out of interest How high is the resistance?
You definitely not got a short?

It's a learning curve, enjoy it and don't get too hung up.

Every fail build is a step closer to a good one.

Deffo no shorts fresh battery dual coil 0.8 ohm I guess its OK but takes ages to heat up will be twisting tomorrow and aim for 0.5 ohm to start with. See how that goes

Back
Top Bottom