What's new

Adventurous temp control coils

sub_ohm_cy

Initiate
Any vape apes been having a go at any temp control coils? Ive been messing about mixing kanthal and ni200, done a couple twisted coils and today I twisted some 28 gauge kanthal with 30 gauge ni200 then wrapped that with 30 gauge ni200 to make clapton wire. My first attempt here is a 7 wrap round a 2.5mm drill bit which has come out at 0.10 ohms. Gave it a wee toot and so far so good. Has the flavour and is chucking some nice clouds! :D

Attachments

• 1436019286700.jpg
    1436019286700.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 109
Any vape apes been having a go at any temp control coils? Ive been messing about mixing kanthal and ni200, done a couple twisted coils and today I twisted some 28 gauge kanthal with 30 gauge ni200 then wrapped that with 30 gauge ni200 to make clapton wire. My first attempt here is a 7 wrap round a 2.5mm drill bit which has come out at 0.10 ohms. Gave it a wee toot and so far so good. Has the flavour and is chucking some nice clouds! :D

Yep they do chuck clouds, but they also ruin the TC Calibration. TC IS calibrated to the change in resistance of the coil as it heats, Using a Kanthal core alters the way that resistance changes (The nickel changes resistance but the Kanthal doesn't so as it heats up the response curve that the mod relies on is altered.

Yep they do chuck clouds, but they also ruin the TC Calibration. TC IS calibrated to the change in resistance of the coil as it heats, Using a Kanthal core alters the way that resistance changes (The nickel changes resistance but the Kanthal doesn't so as it heats up the response curve that the mod relies on is altered.

Very true, but electricity does like to follow the path if least resistance. Ive been playing around with ni200 and kanthal this past couple weeks with no issues. Only thing ive had to do is reduce my temp setting and so far my evic-vt has handled everything ive thrown at it. Once I get hold of a variety if different gauge tempered ni200 I'll try a pure nickel clapton

Very true, but electricity does like to follow the path if least resistance. Ive been playing around with ni200 and kanthal this past couple weeks with no issues. Only thing ive had to do is reduce my temp setting and so far my evic-vt has handled everything ive thrown at it. Once I get hold of a variety if different gauge tempered ni200 I'll try a pure nickel clapton

This is true, but, as you get the nickel hot it can go fron 0.1 to 0.5 Ohms, that will mean that the Kanthal then becomes a significant factor in the calculated resistance...

This is true, but, as you get the nickel hot it can go fron 0.1 to 0.5 Ohms, that will mean that the Kanthal then becomes a significant factor in the calculated resistance...

Yeah good point, but so far so good anyway, just let my wick dry out and it hasn't burnt so I'm quite happy with it for now. At least until I get more ni200 lol

Yeah good point, but so far so good anyway, just let my wick dry out and it hasn't burnt so I'm quite happy with it for now. At least until I get more ni200 lol

Thats good, I'm not saying people shouldn't do it, just to be aware that it affects the calibration and that you may have to adjust your temperatures down more than normal for the same results...

Thats good, I'm not saying people shouldn't do it, just to be aware that it affects the calibration and that you may have to adjust your temperatures down more than normal for the same results...

Yeah I was glad I began at a low temp the first time I used nickel twisted with kanthal, I had been vaping my standard nickel builds at 500°f,, that could have been interesting if I started out at that temp, at the moment my mixed Clapton set up is sitting at 440°f and it seems spot on.

Just to jump in.
The only fine wire I have is 32g Nickel. If I wrap it round some 26g kanthal that I've got to approximate a Clapton I should get some sort of vestigial temperature regulation? I don't really want to run the nickel in pure wattage mode, but I do need more Clapton practice :)
Ta

Just to jump in.
The only fine wire I have is 32g Nickel. If I wrap it round some 26g kanthal that I've got to approximate a Clapton I should get some sort of vestigial temperature regulation? I don't really want to run the nickel in pure wattage mode, but I do need more Clapton practice :)
Ta

Some kind of temp control may work although I'm not sure how well it would work or how accurate it would be as your only using one strand of 32 gauge nickle. I definitely wouldn't use it in normal wattage mode, you would run the risk of overheating the nickel which is definitely bad news. My set up with a twisted kanthal and nickel core for my Clapton did work but definitely wasn't as accurate as using our nickel

Back
Top Bottom