Sub-Ohm Warning!

Readers who are building very low ohm coils must be aware of the risks in regards to batteries and inhalation.
Please read THIS POST for more information.

POTV - Your vaping community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Why not sign up today!

Register
  1. The POTV Charity Fundraising Event for 2019 is go! Check out the prizes and make your donations here.
    Dismiss Notice

0.15 ohms. Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Cloud Chasing & Sub Ohming' started by xibxang, Aug 5, 2014.

1. xibxang

xibxang Postman

I've just finished making my best work yet. 27 gauge Kanthal parallel coils around a 1.5mm needle. 6 wraps each and they're coming in at 0.15ohms. By my calculations, that's 28 amps. I'm using Sony 18650 VTC5s and I'm nervous that 28 is real close to the 30 amp limit.

I've done a few test vapes on a battery that was at 3.8 volts and the vapour quality is outstanding. I mean, it's sick as tits.

Am I riding way too close to the limit here? If I insert a new battery, is Carl Sagan going to ride a chariot down from the skies and nuke my genitals?

2. VaperCaper

VaperCaper Achiever

Yes.

I don't understand why anyone needs less than about 0.5ohm, but to each their own. :)

the thing to remember with batteries is that the quoted amp limit is when the battery is new. If you're using a battery that's well used it might not be up to being pushed that hard.

If that low resistance is your thing then go wild, but please stay safe.

Someone more knowledgeable will no doubt be along soon with suitable battery recommendations.

3. B1mble

B1mble Postman

How much do you trust the resistance measurement? Conventionally half the least unit of measurement which is I suspect strongly optimistic. But let's assume accuracy (Which at the prices those atomiser testers sell at is wildly optimistic or more correctly delusional) so your resistance is between 0.145 and 0.155 ohms. Or between 29 and 27 amps. If, as is more probable the second digit is not at all reliable you could be between 0.1 and 0.2 ohms. That is not so good. That's somewhere between 21 and 42 amps.

It is your face the mod will be stuck in - you choose.

4. Loco

Loco Postman

Am I wrong in thinking 30a is the continuous limit.

For short bursts, the rating is higher.

Safe practice from my experience would be taking draws >10secs and giving a resting period in between to let it cool back down.

• Like Like x 2
  5. xibxang

xibxang Postman

I decided to sack such a low resistance build. It just wouldn't sit well in my head.

• Thank Thank x 1
  6. Raguri

Raguri Nutter!

... I. Use the same at 0.04... man up ;)
    3 to 5 second pulls max.

But on a serious note. .15 is fine, anything.under .1, you need to know when your batteries are getting warm.

#6 Raguri, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  7. Hemulin

Hemulin Postman

its each to there own but to me thats like russian rulet,only a matter of time before something goes bang! But some people like to push the limits & thats there choice,

8. Raguri

Raguri Nutter!

I've vaped a 0.10 daily for a month, sod all happened. :P did it to test to see if anything did..

9. SublimeSparo

SublimeSparo Postman

Dude! thats 441Watts @ 105Amps, you really are a nutter! :whiteflag:

• Like Like x 1
  10. xibxang

xibxang Postman

Thought you guys might find this interesting. Don't try this at home, obviously. This video is safe for work.

http://youtu.be/ZQocKa-Rh-s

flying over your house,
    a guy called xib