What's new

Wire and switches for mod

RicModMaker

Vendor
Hopefully someone can help me not catch on fire.
I'm getting supplies together for my first mod and am not sure what wire or switches to get.
I'm going to put a 30A 18650 in it and it's probably a stupid question but do I need to get wire and switches with a 30A or above rating?
Where would you get this wire from?

I'll thank you in advance for helping me and saving the life of my family ;)

I think it depends, but if the switches are carrying the current directly then yeah, you'll want switches that are rated at whatever the max current that will flow is going to be. Bearing in mind that a lot of switches are rated for 220V - DC ratings are important too. What I'm not so sure about is what bearing the voltage might have - I suspect that a switch rated at say 50V and 6A (which will be capable of carrying 300W DC), may be able to to carry 30A at 10V, and possibly 60A at 5V etc. but hopefully Tubbyengineer or someone similar may be able to clarify that. Don't take any of the above as gospel though!

If, however, you're planning on using something like a DNA30 then the switch doesn't need anything like that sort of rating - a couple of tens of mA should be plenty, since it'd only be carrying signal level voltages.

For my plastic battery box,I sourced some multi-strand copper cored domestic wire from an old lamp(figured that if it was good enough to carry 13 amps of 240 V then should be okay for a battery)Then changed my mind & replaced it with wire stripped from old car loom.The switch though,I haven't a clue as mine also came from an old car.

It depends on what sort of wire, various types have different ratings, single strand is usually higher rated than multi strand but not suitable in situations where it will be flexed, get some 0.5mm or o.75mm wire, the switch will be more difficult there is a reason mech mods are built the way they are, high DC current switches are expensive - very expensive, have a look at RS or Farnell Electronics to find your switch but dont be suprised if its huge and cost £20 or so...

Thanks guys. I'm starting to realise that non mech mods are not for the power vaper. There's a good reason high discharge batteries need big metal tubes to carry the current. Its been quite a steep learning curve. I appreciate all the help. :-)

vape_on('inhale');

Last edited:
Actually, so do I - really not sure why PSR2 is so down on them. Only place I use them now is in unit tests though.

Back
Top Bottom