What's new

whomever decided to use micro usb for charging devices......

The only charger I had was a USB until recently (thanks Hodge40 :worship:)

I used it at work and home and was always worried it might do something dangerous, especially using it for my VTC4 battery!

It was probably as one of the good thing the EU did forcing all mobile phones to use the same connection has made it the most available 5 V connection out there. I don't think any are drawing over an amp and you can get 2 A wall walt PSUs easily enough, which is a bad thing for devices that don't regulate the charge current like DNAs and some Egos. Electrically its up to the job, it's small and omni-present.

What do you have against it?

I just worried that it wouldn't charge properly, I believe most batteries that malfunction are in part due to incorrect methods of charging said batteries. I don't have anything against it per-se, just worried they are not up to the job and very cheaply made.

I just worried that it wouldn't charge properly, I believe most batteries that malfunction are in part due to incorrect methods of charging said batteries. I don't have anything against it per-se, just worried they are not up to the job and very cheaply made.

There will be a circuit between the USB and the battery that controls charging, a lot of these should only be feed by a 500 mA supply (original USB spec) as some combinations of Ego and charger can go badly wrong with more current and even some quality gear like DNAs the charge circuit will over heat if you put an amp through it. 500 mA is still more than you get from a Nitecore 4 bay charger with all the bays filled and if you know your kit can regulate the input current you can use higher current supplies like smart-phones and tablets use.

But most devices will keep the current low for safety and working life of your batteries, I never charger batteries smaller than 18650 over 500 mA as they get too hot, it wares then out and could be dangerous on very small or cheap batteries.

I don't see the problem. Everyone has a branded mobile phone charger, or just plug it into a USB socket on your PC.

With the crappy screws on the IPV2, it's a good thing I don't have to remove the cover too often.

I've been using USB PCB's to charge the lipo cells in my box mods for awhile now, never had any issues with them and they were bought cheaply from China(£1.50 x5)rated at 1 amp output. Bought a balance charger last weekend, tried it today and was impressed. The USB boards can take upwards of 4 hours to charge my lipo pack, setup the balance charger (2A output)and 22 mins later, the balance charger beeped to say the pack was charged.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Back
Top Bottom