What's new

Voltage Amperage query

RicModMaker

Vendor
Hopefully someone who knows more than me can help verify something.
I bought some buttons from Ebay that said they were rated at 12v 25a.
I have found these buttons on a chinese site and they say they are 120v 4a.

I have asked the seller to tell me where he got the 25a rating info from and this is what he has said:
'Hi this switch is rated at 25amp at 12v. As with all switches and electrical circuits as the voltage goes up the amp goes down . You may have seen on another site with different rating, I have sold over 4000 with out any problems Thanks '

Any thoughts?

Hopefully someone who knows more than me can help verify something.
I bought some buttons from Ebay that said they were rated at 12v 25a.
I have found these buttons on a chinese site and they say they are 120v 4a.

I have asked the seller to tell me where he got the 25a rating info from and this is what he has said:
'Hi this switch is rated at 25amp at 12v. As with all switches and electrical circuits as the voltage goes up the amp goes down . You may have seen on another site with different rating, I have sold over 4000 with out any problems Thanks '

Any thoughts?
Seedy
voltage is to do with insulation
current rating is the same at any voltage
higher volts need bigger air gap to prevent arcing
in general.

So is he talking rubbish?

Sent from somewhere deep and dark in the mod making pit!

12v 25a
120v 4a
using his logic.....
120v 4a would be 12v 40a
so whilst amps reduce at higher voltage for a given load...ohm's law....
yes he is WRT that switch
assuming it's the same switch

what is the prob ? welding?

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with the switch, I just want to know where he got the 25a number as I can only find them at 4a. Exactly the same as far as I can tell. What's WRT?
Thanks for your help.

With Reference To Seedy

Sent from my SM-T210 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Thanks fella.I don't do much text speak. I'm a bit peeved that this seller is stating higher amp limits for lower voltages.

As sparky said, there is less likelihood of the current arcing at lower voltages but if the switch was made from thinner materials(foil instead of 0.5mm metal strip)it will carry 25,000 volts at 0.000000000001 amps okay, but were it 1,00000 amps at 25 volts, the foil would melt.

Just so I'm clear. I think these switches are the same as the one I've seen which are rated 4a at 120v. Will these be good for 25a at up to 12v or not? I've asked the seller to provide me with the manufacturers spec sheet a few times and they don't seem willing to. I'm thinking they've plucked the figure out of thin air. What do you reckon?

Why not just throw in a mosfet? I bought 10 of those Farnell N variety you pointed me to, and without any heatsinking my lipo box is quite happy to fire 0.2 or less coils and my mosfet is just rattling around on the end of some 14AWG cable.

Back
Top Bottom