What's new

the making of boromir a hybrid stab wood 26650 mech squonk

vapesmarter

Mod Maker
at the end of "Stuart little" Stuart comes to a fork in the road. unsure of which way to go he stops and sees a telephone repairman. the repairman advises Stuart to head north and tells him of wonderous places, green fields, crooked fences, and adventures to come. "they are a long way from here" warns the man "but a person who is looking for something doesn't travel very fast"

this is poignant to the making of Boromir from the brink of failure to rescuing him from the bin to a hope and a dream

this will be a 2 part thread

so sit back relax read, comment, encourage

so Boromir is based on the lord of the rings it is the first mod of a 4 part set after these are completed no more will be made all are different all unique

on the DVD is, of course, the lord of the rings

"Boromir: None of us should wander alone, you least of all. Frodo? I know you suffer, I see it day by day. Are you sure you do not suffer needlessly? There are other ways, Frodo, other paths we might take. "

so Boromir is to be a squonker with a MOSFET a 26650 battery

this means he is going to be big I didn't realise, the battery tube is going to be 29mm that is big, really big

IMG_3362.JPG

this is the cast under pressure the wood is alder also stabilised the colours are jet black, truffle metallic, gold, touch off silver,
when I got it out of the mould it looked like a big black blob oh dear

IMG_3365.JPG

so the main shaping has been done I've had to cut back the mod to near finished limits here I'm drilling a massive 29mm hole with a Forstner bit 29mm is an oddball size as well, I'm drilling from the base to the top to slide the battery tube in until....

IMG_3366.JPG

the drill kicked back why I'm not sure I think it was drilling from wood to resin and couldn't clear itself fast enough

the mod is scrap.......

oh shit lots of swearing I went into the house and showed Mrs vapesmarter the problem she said oh shit too, I then threw Boromir in the kitchen bin and stomped back to the workshop to throw the drill bit across the room

IMG_3367.JPG

Boromir sat in the bin, I sat in the workshop and steamed until an idea came to mind a slim chance..... I rushed back and rescued Boromir from the bin, washed off the evening meal that was on him (he looked like a road accident)

I could, I might just be able to pull this back, the tube, when bonded into the mod, will be the backbone of the mod itself if I was to polish the brass sand back the rough edges this might turn out to be a crazy looking mod

IMG_3371.JPG

so I started by semi-finishing the mod to get permission from its new owner frantic messages between me and @andy3434

IMG_3372.JPG

IMG_3368.JPG

@andy3434 is truly a gentleman he loved the idea and trusted what I said he wanted me to go with it

IMG_3375.JPG

so a bigger hole for the squonk hole was done 4mm magnets the tube is brass the top will be brass also

IMG_3376.JPG

there will be a lip but a spacer will be installed to take a 24mm or 22mm mod on the 510 also in brass

IMG_3373.JPG

first mockup lots of work

Boromir lies in state on the bench the tube is bonded In i have had to use resin for this you can't use superglue, will it work i have no idea I have also had to fill any gaps to smooth out the join.

the resin in its nature hates small amounts so this all hangs by a thread.

it has been a nerve racking stressful mod to create

part 2 soon

Last edited:
I like how your designs are evolving.

I do actually quite like the natural edge and the tube showing.

Though If the wood around the tube doesnt turn out to be solid enough, maybe recast that corner in a matching resin with the tube set in place?

so far its solid

"like in Bladerunner when the replicant is made it can't be remade"

it is so hard to show in pictures but in the flesh excuse my french so far its like

"what the fuck .....no way"

it is very unique

Last edited:
Looking good, and the cracks will make it nice as long as they grip the tube well

I've cracked things drilling and sometimes it does add a nice touch if they can be held in place later, I've also seen a fair few penmakers use different resins/glues to work cracked projects into unique pieces

Back
Top Bottom