What's new

sx500 yihi mod oh no its bust can you fix it stu?

vapesmarter

Mod Maker
I get a lot of asks to fix mods most of the time it depends what the matter it is all 50/50

I can service rebuild remake all my own as I have made them and I don't seal them so that "what is done cannot be undone"

my good friend and confident @crustyfolker I saw on Monday for a chin wag and a catch up I've known matt through good times and bad and have always had a soft spot for him he would give you the mod in his hand and go without he is that kind of person

so he gave me a mod the mighty sx500 to fix the 510 had come out a common problem on all mods so here is how I fixed it and you dear apes can look under the bonnet so to speak

its picture heavy and I will be honest (matt turn avert your eyes at the bad bits:10:)

alfIMG_8690.jpg

oh dear see 510 top cap busted

alfIMG_8693.jpg

see the peak and the 8mm nut yes that's 8mm no ring yihi though glue would a good idea to keep that cap in place

alfIMG_8694.jpg

so strip down 2 torqs on the top, on the bottom 3 Phillips or pozi screws the bottom falls off then 2 secret self tapers both Philips

alfIMG_8695.jpg

the Lucozade wrapper film is some sort of electric cover well its very funky but the 510 has no seals the juice just pissed out of the mod

alfIMG_8696.jpg

now, look closely see the plastic battery shell that holds the batteries on the top is a spring, that pushes up against the 510 the negative has no nut it's soldered to the base of the top cap the nut just sits about the place doing nought

alfIMG_8697.jpg

see the spring very landrover, oddly the board available to modmakers has a sodding huge capacitor on the back 10mm deep this has not but its the same board how convenient

alfIMG_8701.jpg

in the workshop so I have an 8mm nut glued on the atty top cap to remove this fits into the plastic abs shell but the back of the mod is alloy the rest is plastic the most expensive part of the mod is the board the rest is well....shit

alfIMG_8702.jpg

the top section the red bit that holds the battery contacts down are self tapped into the plastic battery carriage see the cracks over tightened just slightly, I've soldered a ring and clamped the top cap on with the nut pushed the spring in place onto the peak thingy

alfIMG_8703.jpg

from the base see the 2 secret screws on both sides

alfIMG_8704.jpg

510 in place notice no seals nothing if your tank leaks the juice will fill the mod like a squonker

alfIMG_8705.jpg

back indoors secret screws in place

IMG_8707.jpg

torqs on the top and the moment of truth

IMG_8706.jpg

oh no the batteries are venting call Sam the fireman, call the president, call Teresa May, call Bob Geldof yeah right...cobblers
the thing is batteries can vent they can vent in new mods and in old, just be careful panic and it's going to get worse but of course, they didn't

IMG_8708.jpg

32.0 watts with a mesh tank works a treat

IMG_8390.jpg

no drama no conflict isn't that right Alfie

@crustyfolker your mods done however the other hmmm that one looks like a board failure we will see

love my mods then like them....buy one

on a notable point, @junglist I'm going to tag you here I'm hoping that we can chat, I'm worried, Alfie is worried he said he thinks you have been dognapped and has collected 23p and 3 gravy bones for the ransom I said 23p isn't going to go very far but its a start....

Informative, amusing and a pic of Alfie. What more could you want from a thread. BTW Stu..... can you fix.....

Informative, amusing and a pic of Alfie. What more could you want from a thread. BTW Stu..... can you fix.....

I thought originally just bung a new 510 in place but its 8mm and for that mod its not a 10mm or 12mm those two will not fit but yihi as so many manufacturers make it so the mod if buggered is a disposable item, apart from the board the most expensive part is the copper wires this has been asked of me a lot

"what the cables duuuurrr that's not right"

well it is if you can save on copper in a mod is a big saving plastic is easy to make injection mould the lot, 510s are pence each but copper moves with market like gold and silver it goes up and down and you have to buy it by the reel its not like you can go online and buy a meter at a time

Thanks Stu @vapesmarter. Glad to see my Vboy back up and running and yes it was because of the decent chipset i asked you to fix it. The capo well i had about 2 and a half batteries worth of use before it stopped firing, if the boards failed its failed. I suspected a loose wire as it works apart from firing. If you did find a fix for the capo you can keep it Stu, or if not upto you what you do with it. The Vboy do you want me to send you some postage or leave it till you are in the area again mate. Thanks again for your help. Ladies and Gents I can't speak highly enough of Stu as an ape, as a modmaker and a friend. It's always a pleasure to see Stu n Mrs Vapesmarter, still to meet the lovely Alfie in person but maybe one day. Oh and anytime i can help Stu i will do or at least try to.

I've got one of these mods... the 510's are also prone to collapsing because the spring moves out of place, and the paint is crap. Decent board though.

Back
Top Bottom