What's new

Is the Sigelei 19, 19e head spring needed

Barracuda

Postman
currently using the sig 19 along with an efest 900mah nipple top battery.
ok my ocd is kicking in here big time as the batt is 37mm long against a 35mm flat top and not only is it giving me that 2mm gap on the mod the spring is making short work of tearing the plastic covering on the battery itself as i tighten it.
sooo i removed the top brass spring as the firing pin is brass anyway and hey presto i have my 2mm back and a now happy mod with no gaps.
what i would like to confirm is, me removing the spring has no issues as i have been using it without for a few hours now and seems all good.
to me it makes no odds it being there but some of you may have a thought on that?
thanks.

Me personally, I wouldn't have a problem using it like that but would be doing so at my own risk. The spring is the only safety feature mechanical mod has. If anything was wrong, the spring is designed to collapse thus breaking the electrical circuit in the mod.

Appreciate your thoughts clint, has been niggling me why the spring is there in the first place, iirc the old heads had none and used the magnets, so no spring.. plus peeps would mod it with the m4 screw anyway. to me i am struggling to see a difference.
i figure that if im using a protected battery then all good? also without the spring it would appear a kick may work, yet to try that tho but will inform lol.

I'd personally use imr batteries due to "safer chemistry". As long as the mod has got good ventilation, if anything did go wrong, the battery would be able to vent. You would feel the mod get very hot first anyway.
If it did happen, put the mod outside to let it vent and don't breath any of the gases. That's worst case scenario.

Last edited:
/\
I think it might be frowned upon by some tho.

Last edited:
I just recieved the brass 19e top cap today, the first thing I did was to remove the spring and bolt and replace with a m4 brass bolt cut to fit.
I've also ground the top cap and delring insert down so the kayfun now sits flush

The original Sig 19 (the one where everyone, inc me, swapped the magnet for a brass screw had a spring in the base. I haven't seen the newer ones yet but I assume they do too, if for no other reason than making the button work. Swapping that for a hot spring would make things safer, and probably make the throw a bit softer too. Of course as I said, I haven't seen the newer ones so it could have a hot spring in the base already and I could therefore be talking utter b*ll*cks.

I'd personally use imr batteries due to "safer chemistry". As long as the mod has got good ventilation, if anything did go wrong, the battery would be able to vent. You would feel the mod get very hot first anyway.
If it did happen, put the mod outside to let it vent and don't breath any of the gases. That's worst case scenario.

Cheers mate, i hear what you saying and i know its at my risk, however i simply can't see a risk (if any) atm. :)
guess proof is in the pudding as they say and any problems will arise with use over time.

I just recieved the brass 19e top cap today, the first thing I did was to remove the spring and bolt and replace with a m4 brass bolt cut to fit.
I've also ground the top cap and delring insert down so the kayfun now sits flush
i noticed the brass bolt it comes with as standard is the same length as the derlin, also thinking a shave of the derlin too.

The original Sig 19 (the one where everyone, inc me, swapped the magnet for a brass screw had a spring in the base. I haven't seen the newer ones yet but I assume they do too, if for no other reason than making the button work. Swapping that for a hot spring would make things safer, and probably make the throw a bit softer too. Of course as I said, I haven't seen the newer ones so it could have a hot spring in the base already and I could therefore be talking utter b*ll*cks.
the switch i have has the hot spring in over the standard plus the all brass firing pin, all in all not having any issues at all and fires every time. :)
i'll get a pic up.

Head with removed spring and bottom switch, switch has hot spring inside.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374696820.400306.jpg

Back
Top Bottom