What's new

Heat treating SS ?

thedarthVap3r

Achiever
has anyone played around with torching their ss mods?
or aluminium and titanium for that matter?

saw some post on toddsreviews facebook were a guy had torched his sigelei and it looked awesome.

so i found a heat/colour chart and saw that pale yellow was the lowest heated colour change ( yes there are a lot of variables to take into consideration mind you.)

so i rebeled it and took the airflow ring from my nemesis , 15 minutes later , its golden :D minus a few little oxidation marks :'( i stupidly touched the thing , burnt my hand and dropped the ring onto a paper towel.( ive managed to burn them out pretty well suprisingly)

then i took the locking ring and did it again , got a much better result this time , perhaps because its far thinner than the airflow ring , and i must say im a happy boy. ill post some pics later but right now its 3:23am and im dog tired.

id love to see other peoples attempts at this as im sure some folk out there have been incredibly creative and got the different colours to bleed into each other or just have made a pretty standard looking mod , into something unique .

heres photo
DSC02073.jpg

Last edited:
I had a thought about this a while ago seeing as I have a blowtorch handy! Pleaaase, Post some pictures! ;)

pic is up. it looks awesome in the sun , not so awesome in the dark. think i botched it tbh.

Ooh I like that a lot...

And, for any of you thinking of doing this:
Colour FormedApprox Temperature C
pale yellow290
straw yellow340
dark yellow370
brown390
purple brown420
dark purple450
blue540
dark blue600

Hmm, I can't say for certain. But, I do know that people heat treat golf clubs etc etc. So, Can't see it weakening that much! ;)

Back
Top Bottom