What's new

Fixing my VAMO and SID with nothing more than a carto and a swiss army knife!

TwistedHelix

My VAMO gave up the ghost on the weekend, got the whole 0.0ohms message, though stuff it I've got my SID so just put the VAMO down as a waster and using it as a base for building RBA's.
But then my SID started being a wallychops yesterday doing the same thing! well..'low load' message unless my clearo was barely screwed on at all. No no this shall not do!

I'm sure many VAMO owners have had this problem and found the nitrile ring method (if you haven't, see http://ukvapers.org/Thread-VAMO-9-99-or-0-00-reading-all-or-most-of-the-time-Here-s-the-solution) - use this as a starting point and follow most of the instructions, but if you only have a carto to hand..read on:

Look carefully at the bottom of your cartomizer, you'll see a silicone ring sealing the centre post and the carto body, this is the bit we need.
To extract it I took my trusty swiss army knife, used the corkscrew and quite literally twisted the corkscrew into the top of the carto, into the wadding, and pulled it out to extract the wadding, leaving just the coil, silicone ring and centre post. Now to push the centre post and coil out I used a pencil (OK OK I know I said only a swiss army knife..I lied :p). Now all that's left is the silicone ring..easy to remove just use some tweezers or a bent out paperclip or whatever.

Your newly acquired silicone ring will look like this:
wQmXzlW.jpg

To give you a comparison next to the ring I pulled out of my SID:
vywrci9.jpg

(the right is the SID ring, I didn't actually use thing ring cuz it came out of a CE5 atty head, it was a bit too big and the bottom lip made it impossible to push back into the SID hole, so I used another carto)

Much beefier! Why the heck mod makers use such ridiculously lame rings I'll never know, the VAMO ring was even flimsier!

So anyway, following the guide I linked above, extract your mod's centre post, remove the existing ring and slip this new one over, so the top of the ring is sitting under the lip of the centre post, now use a flat implement (I used the hex bit you can see in the pics...yesss I know that's not a swiss amy knife either but technically I could of used a swiss army knife for this bit :p) to push the assembly back into the hole so the thinner bit of the ring goes into the hole, the lip of the ring holds the assembly in place and the lip of the centre post prevents the post being pushed down into the mod!
To finish up I screwed a carto in to make sure it was pushed down evenly, tested with a clearo and huzzah! Two working mods and happy vaper :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom