What's new

DNA20 Cloned Board Box Mod

Here's the board:

VHna20 board

And bugger me bandy! They've added these since Thursday!

DIY Mod Pack
VHana Empty box

20% off the board when you buy the empty case! It'll save a lot of buggering about if you don't have the means to do the box, and its the 18650 version of the box.

PS - I am in no way affiliated with VapourHut.

@Petebigmatch - a small amount of flux is your friend. ;)

Just finished building the VHana mod

A couple of minor niggles

No stealth function
No left/right mode
unless Im doing something wrong ? Held fire and up/down button while Locked for 30 secs ... nothing

The holes for soldering the wires into are too small for 20AWG wires. So I had to solder them on top

The opening for the USB socket is too small so the charging and charged LEDs are hardly visible.
I was going to use some fiber optic cable and install them by the vent hole. I didnt bother
in the end.

I prefer my Vapor Shark over this ..... feels better in the hand

This is actually my second attempt. My original DNA board parted company with its screen before I got it into the box(!) and I decided that the expense was way too much to keep repeating the process; however, I found a couple of cloned DNA20 boards, supplied with charging boards, and decided that it was worth another try.

If you have never build a mod, and fancy having a crack at a DNA, just bear in mind the boards are miniature, and the soldering points are like full-stops with about 1mm between them. HOWEVER, I managed to solder them (about 6 pairs of wires in all) with a bit of practice on some spare micro switches etc., so it is achievable!

The first mod I made took all day, and was a half decent attempt, but the charging board blew after a few days, so required a bit of modification to turn it into a removable battery version (with a hole in it where the charger board once poked out!), and as you can imagine, a "second" wasn't what I was after.

SO - I ordered a load more switches, a couple of boxes and some atty connectors, and decided that an external charging method would be preferable. This is the result:

View attachment 25746

It took about four hours in total yesterday evening, and charged beautifully (3400mah Panasonic NCR18650B tabbed and made into an insulated internal battery pack), and is vaping like a veritable choo-choo train! I am sure that time could be cut down dramatically using decent tools, but I made it with nothing less than a cordless drill, soldering iron, glue gun, wire of different gauges and heat shrink sleeve. I am pretty sure I could drive over it and it wouldn't be too bad!

That sir is awesomasaurus :yahoo:

Yeah, you're right about the function thing.

The soldering is a pain in the arse with the 20AWG wire - but it is in the Evolv board too, to be honest. I made the mistake if tinning the wires first too, which only added to the swearing and cursing!

The charging LEDs are a pain too - I bought the fibre optic strands, but decided against it. I also left out the charging board altogether in the mod I made and made an external charging unit instead.

Well done on the build. Looks good. :D

Yeah, you're right about the function thing.

The soldering is a pain in the arse with the 20AWG wire - but it is in the Evolv board too, to be honest. I made the mistake if tinning the wires first too, which only added to the swearing and cursing!

The charging LEDs are a pain too - I bought the fibre optic strands, but decided against it. I also left out the charging board altogether in the mod I made and made an external charging unit instead.

Well done on the build. Looks good. :D

LOL .... I deliberately did not take any photos of the guts. I kinda went Banzai with the hot-glue gun :D

Planning my next mod now. This time with a genuine DNA30, dual 18650s and some of those gubbins
from Shapeways.com. All I need now is to find a decent box to house it all in.

Mate - given the size of the board, the distribution of the solder rungs and the size of the wires, I don't think the insides will ever be pretty! It caused me anxiety the first one I built, the second one proved the first was normal! Ha ha. :2thumbsup:

EthelKing
Where did you pick up the power inlet? I am Looking for one similar but perfectly round.

Also how do you know when it's fully charged & doe the charge auto shut off.

Sorry for asking

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

The ones I'm using now a round panel mount, and they look fantastic! RS UK is where you get them. Search them up on their site - it takes a while to get the combination you want...

If you only want one, Maplin sell them - actually cheaper than RS, but they don't hold large stocks.

The boards have an LED which changes colour from charging to charged. Its bright enough to see around the cracks in the USB socket, just like bthe Hana mod. I did buy some fibre optic cable, but lost the will to live! :D

Thanks, I'll check out RS & Maplins

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

Back
Top Bottom