What's new

Deep wood Modmakers Thoughts "where do you get your wood from stu"

Totally enjoyed this video and your knowledge is superb and interesting. Well done.

I would say my knowledge could be described as a solid one, up until last year and for the last 10 years I've had a mentor he is a leading expert on trees in general when we plant and map out where new trees go they are all in named in latin like this

General rules

List the common and scientific names on the first reference, as appropriate. In general, for articles, list the common name for a plant, followed on the first reference by the italicized scientific/Latin name in parenthesis: white fir (Abies concolor). The Latin may be preferable for scientific papers and articles about forestry research, cloning, etc.: Eucalyptus globulus (blue gum).

The Latin for a variety of a species follows this format: Pinus ponderosa var. arizonica

On the second reference, abbreviate the genus: E. globulus

Use eucalypt as the common name for a tree or single species of tree within the Eucalyptus family. Use eucalypts as the plural.

It is also proper to use "Eucalyptus family" or refer to the species: Eucalyptus saligna, E. globulus,etc.

I know a birch is a betula but when I got the things to plant the names would be shortened so instead of birch I would get "B. nigra" which is a river birch so I would have a book like a sodding atlas looking up a name

then me and ben would argue over it like this

"naa that's not a "b-nigra" look are bark it's a Paper" ben (by paper he means the normal birch -- Betula papyrifera)

"it looks more like an alunis to me"

"your talking shit look it up" ben

so im there in the rain looking up a small twig in a pot......

Last edited:
I would say my knowledge could be described as a solid one, up until last year and for the last 10 years I've had a mentor he is a leading expert on trees in general when we plant and map out where new trees go they are all in named in latin like this

General rules

List the common and scientific names on the first reference, as appropriate. In general, for articles, list the common name for a plant, followed on the first reference by the italicized scientific/Latin name in parenthesis: white fir (Abies concolor). The Latin may be preferable for scientific papers and articles about forestry research, cloning, etc.: Eucalyptus globulus (blue gum).

The Latin for a variety of a species follows this format: Pinus ponderosa var. arizonica

On the second reference, abbreviate the genus: E. globulus

Use eucalypt as the common name for a tree or single species of tree within the Eucalyptus family. Use eucalypts as the plural.

It is also proper to use "Eucalyptus family" or refer to the species: Eucalyptus saligna, E. globulus,etc.

I know a birch is a betula but when I got the things to plant the names would be shortened so instead of birch I would get "B. nigra" which is a river birch so I would have a book like a sodding atlas looking up a name

then me and ben would argue over it like this

"naa that's not a "b-nigra" look are bark it's a Paper" ben (by paper he means the normal birch -- Betula papyrifera)

"it looks more like an alunis to me"

"your talking shit look it up" ben

so im there in the rain looking up a small twig in a pot......

My favourite tree name is Metasequoia glyptostroboides. It has a very poetic ring to it.

That was an enjoyable walk through your woodland, very relaxing, thanks.

It's a Dawn Redwood. Not sure what the wood's like for mod making.
Sorry to be an annoying twat btw

We have a couple of giant redwoods in the forest and a few costal ones. Amazing bark on them. Never seen a Dawn Redwood though

We have a couple of giant redwoods in the forest and a few costal ones. Amazing bark on them. Never seen a Dawn Redwood though

Not as big as Giant Redwood. Also one of the few conifers that lose their leaves in autumn, turning orangy-red before they drop.

I've got a brand new one...never used...i can't remember what feck i bought it for! Something that once needed chopping down..or up....but whatever it was..it's didn't happen!
We've got one ......... but it's not up to trees that are a huggable size! :D

Back
Top Bottom