What's new

Can someone tell me what the 'TAP' is for on a DNA 200?

Trying to repair a Think Vape Box 133 DNA200 board, the fault appears to be some very iffy soldering on the battery connection terminals, instead of a plug for the Balance Connector they have bridged the solder on the positive power terminal down to pin 2 & 3, the negative is bridged to ground, then there is a thin wire running from pin 1 to the top of the dual battery tray which is bridged.

At the base of the series dual battery tray the main Positive and Negative leads run to a small circuit board, no idea what it is.

The thin wire needs replacing and the positive bridge soldering was dreadful and a very weak link to pin 2.

Is the Balance Connector required if you don't use a 3 cell lipo or USB charging?

Any thoughts?

I can do photos if required.

Trying to repair a Think Vape Box 133 DNA200 board, the fault appears to be some very iffy soldering on the battery connection terminals, instead of a plug for the Balance Connector they have bridged the solder on the positive power terminal down to pin 2 & 3, the negative is bridged to ground, then there is a thin wire running from pin 1 to the top of the dual battery tray which is bridged.

At the base of the series dual battery tray the main Positive and Negative leads run to a small circuit board, no idea what it is.

The thin wire needs replacing and the positive bridge soldering was dreadful and a very weak link to pin 2.

Is the Balance Connector required if you don't use a 3 cell lipo or USB charging?

Any thoughts?

I can do photos if required.

Bridging is fine. Although you see problems when some manufacturers use zero ohm resistors for the bridges.

Replace with 1mm copper

Balance wire doesn't carry much current

I think the board is for reverse polatity protection

You might be able to run the board in power supply mods without any balance wiring. Not sure if the cell cut off works then though

Thoughts are think vape are questionable in a lot of ways. And the balance IC has gone if you're seeing random cell voltages

Bridging is fine. Although you see problems when some manufacturers use zero ohm resistors for the bridges.

Replace with 1mm copper

Balance wire doesn't carry much current

I think the board is for reverse polatity protection

You might be able to run the board in power supply mods without any balance wiring. Not sure if the cell cut off works then though

Thoughts are think vape are questionable in a lot of ways. And the balance IC has gone if you're seeing random cell voltages

Thanks for that, 1mm copper wire sounds ideal :)
Doesn't the DNA200 board have a reverse polarity built in?

I'm going to de-solder the lot and see if I can get it to work, if not I will start from scratch with a new enclosure etc. (Having a nose through your sites now)
I'm also tempted to convert it to a 3S Li-Po while I am at it.

Thanks for that, 1mm copper wire sounds ideal :)
Doesn't the DNA200 board have a reverse polarity built in?

I'm going to de-solder the lot and see if I can get it to work, if not I will start from scratch with a new enclosure etc. (Having a nose through your sites now)
I'm also tempted to convert it to a 3S Li-Po while I am at it.

no, the 200 never had it built in as it was supposed to be used with a 3s lipo

Back
Top Bottom