What's new

Bought myself a "fixer upper"

Quick update, just got home and found my package from @stealthvape has arrived. The 510 deployment tool has now allowed me to remove the old 510 from the mod, it was threaded in there fairly tight but it came out quite easily one I'd managed to get a few turns on there :)
IMG_0451.JPG

The retaining nut split in the process but here you can see where the -ve bar runs from the battery connection past the back of the nut and into the back of the board. I still need to desolder that at some point. (Looks grubby inside when it's blown up like this!)
IMG_0450.JPG

The damage to the top of the mod is mainly superficial and hasn't gone all the way through. On closer inspection now the 510 is out the catch cup is actually part of the mod, this will largely be covered by a replacement 22mm 510 plate but I'm going to have to find some way of filling up the area where the original 510 sat otherwise I'm going to have a lake sat under the new 510... suggestions welcome.
IMG_0452.JPG

The other problem is that the @stealthvape source 510 is much wider than the original. This will mean drilling out the original hole to accommodate it, but given how tight it is below I don't then think the retaining nut will fit because of the way the board area protrudes into the 510 area.

Option one is to set the 510 back slightly to leave room, option 2 is to source a 510 with similar dimensions to the original (approx 10mm).
IMG_0449.JPG

One other thing to note is that there's no direct link from the 510 area to the board so all the juice that was in there on arrival was from over squonking on the previous owners part, and the face plate isn't very well sealed (it appears to only be glued in several spots around the frame) allowing liquid ingress.

Last edited:
just a thought as you have gone this far with it why not put a bit of bling on it
a top plate about 2 mm thick outa whatever metal you like might look cool (damascus steel anybody)

Last edited:
just a thought as you have gone this far with it why not put a bit of bling on it
a top plate about 2 mm thick outa whatever metal you like might look cool (damascus steel anybody)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/223074891752?chn=ps a little bit thick but gives you an ideas
might be worth changing the neg contact and putting in a plate that has hole in for 510 so you get less voltage drop
for filling the hole use epoxy, place tape under hole then poor in the epoxy and when its dry sand it flat on the top
you can now drill the hole were you want

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/223074891752?chn=ps a little bit thick but gives you an ideas
might be worth changing the neg contact and putting in a plate that has hole in for 510 so you get less voltage drop
for filling the hole use epoxy, place tape under hole then poor in the epoxy and when its dry sand it flat on the top
you can now drill the hole were you want

Cutting the Damascus to fit 510 is pretty near impossible with out the tools

A modmakers 510 and ring would be fine but would sit proud of the case

Edit I would go for the 510 via modmaker it should fit fine or drill out the case and fit the 12mm stealthvape one

Last edited:
I don't think the stealthvape one is going to fit even if I drill the hole out, there simply won't be enough room for the nut.

Viable options appear to be:

Varitube 22mm bf.... seems to be out of stock everywhere!

Moddog nano 22mm bf. Looks good but doesn't come with any terminals etc and might be a bit of a bugger to solder in place.

Modmaker 510 micro bf + ring.... I'm not bothered about it sitting slightly proud. A 23mm washer would be perfect, but it's the only size they don't do. It also comes with all the terminals/nuts etc. which would make installation easier because I can solder the -ive bar and the positive wire to those and the assemble the 510. The pin for the squonk tube looks really short though... anyone got any experience of this? Any advantages over the v1 bf 510?

And this might sound like a stupid question, but for filling the hole is epoxy an exothermic reaction and if so is there any risk of melting anything given that it's a delrin (plastic) mod?

Gone for the modmaker micro 510 squonker with a 22mm washer. Hopefully that will arrive in the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom