What's new

Another boring DNA build

BaDaBooM

Mod Maker
Update 2

Update 3

Update 4

Update 5

You are probably bored to death of DNA builds (I am) but I'm posting it anyway hoping I get loads of attention :grin2: hehehe.

Its a boring build and I would much rather do a sx350 chip or monster raptor chip build but I got to do something with this DNA20 chip.

I designed this one and wasn't happy with the internal design of the box (looked good on the computer screen, in real life not so good) and made a v2 with a better internal design for a friend. Now I'm back trying to finish this one. Had a Vapor Shark DNA that was a pile of crap and basically everything packed in apart form the DNA Chip. So I decided to make a new home for the DNA chip that was in the VS DNA.

The Concept. (Was going to stick a 26650 in it but changed my mind and went with a 18650. Using a DNA20 for this one)
dna_26650.png

What a pain to desolder the board, re-soldered all the wiring and got it powered up.
phone_149.jpg

Quick test fit, it doesn't look that bad.
phone_159.jpg

That's all I got done today.

Left to do:
Glue the rest of the case.
Drill the button holes and 510 hole.
Make a delrin 510 insulator.
Make a - battery spring and + battery plate.
Make a screen cover.
Mill the display hole in the side plate.
Solder all the buttons and 510 connector.
Cut the side plates out of brushed Stainless Steel.
Fit the magnets for the side plates.
Sand the wood (maybe stain it) and treat it.
Maybe put the usb charger in.

Looking at the list I'm getting depressed. To keep my spirits up I'm going to order a sx350 chip and Raptor chip when I'm done with this one.

Last edited:
Can't get bored of seeing peoples dna builds.

Its great to see all the variations and the skill of all the builders.

I wish I had the knowledge and patience to do things like this.

Thanks guys/girls.

After dinner had I went back into my man cave and got some stuff done. Cut the side plates/doors out of SS (still have protective plastic on), glued the box and got out some buttons to choose from. Holes for the magnets are too shallow so Ill have to drill them a bit deeper.

20140423_231943.jpg

Last edited:
@BaDaBooM
All good.
Like nice tidy workspace.
you make these from laminations and former jigs ?
Very neat

This isn't my workspace its the window next to my computer. Would be too embarrassed to show my workspace :)
I laser cut them and then glue them in a jig so they all lineup right because there isn't any real tolerances (0.2-0.3mm) for sanding, I do give them I light sanding to get rid of the burn marks. It is a lamination (this one is 7 layers), makes them pretty strong for wood. It takes time and if you screw up its scrap.

Atm I'm just experimenting really and trying to get a good design, I hate the DNA board its so fragile (I have ripped a screen right off, don't drink beer and solder boards). Really looking forward to see what the sx350 board is like.

This isn't my workspace its the window next to my computer. Would be too embarrassed to show my workspace :)
I laser cut them and then glue them in a jig so they all lineup right because there isn't any real tolerances (0.2-0.3mm) for sanding, I do give them I light sanding to get rid of the burn marks. It is a lamination (this one is 7 layers), makes them pretty strong for wood. It takes time and if you screw up its scrap.

Atm I'm just experimenting really and trying to get a good design, I hate the DNA board its so fragile (I have ripped a screen right off, don't drink beer and solder boards). Really looking forward to see what the sx350 board is like.

Laser cut !! wow
I'm (slowly) doing mine on a milling machine at work, but some nob broke the drawbar....so i'm currently at a standstill.
Know what you mean about the display (kid gloves) laying mine out so display and pcb are on the same plane to avoid stressing the ribbon.

Back
Top Bottom