What's new

A mod is born SX350 26650 Box Mod

I remember this conversation Tubby, I'm starting my sx350 next month and if it is half as neat as this I'll be happy, fantastic build mate, one to be proud of.... Out of interest how many man hours?

Thanks.

Too many hours, it's a prototype and all I had was a idea on a computer screen. The design of the mod wasn't set in stone, it was more how far can go with it with the tooling I have. The guy who got was super easy to work with and wasn't in a hurry so I could go back and make things better with out having to worry about time.
Machining them doesn't really take too long time it's setting up the machine for every part that takes time. sparkyjuice made me a custom centering tool for my rotary table and that saves a lot of time.
The SX chip is a pain to work with because no 2 chips are the same with all that epoxy glue put all over it so machining the cradle takes for ever.
A lot of parts get binned too because I do mistakes, I binned 3 bodies and one door making this one. Usually a I bin at least one door because the are really hard to machine, they start too lift while machining them because they are so thin. Wish I had a fancy vacuum vice that would solve that problem :)

Ive got a lot projects out of the way now so the I'm making now I will do a solid attempt at anodizing it.

Superb work BaDaBooM - there was me thinking I might have finished collecting stuff!

Once the SB23 & Stig have been paid for I'll be in touch. Do you know an engraver?

BaDaBooM, Hi - I've thought over the Glowy insides bit and come up with a new wrinkle!, Size of the mod isn't that much of an issue to me so I've been looking around and picked up some Electroluminescent wire and a small inverter (28x23x18) (I have one much flatter but need to work out how to use it in a mod) that will run off the standard Batteries in a mod, could you do a bit of thinking and Prelim work to see if you can fit a DNA30, or it's sucessor, the inverter and maybe an extra 14500 battery into a case with some of the EL wire strung through it in interesting patterns or at least vaguely following the actual wiring - Doesn't matter if the box ends up close to or even the size of a Hammond type box but if you can do small AND glowy!

Once you've got a rough Idea on feasability and price drop me a PM and we'll take it from there...

Another fantastic mod mate.

For anyone lucky enough to get hold of one of these and is keeping with the aluminium finish I would advise to wrap it with some heli tape.

I polished mine up nicely and then wrapped it with this stuff and now I don't have to worry about any marks or scratches on my perfect little mod :)

I think I might take the anodized plunge....it is 75 U.S. for a small batch but I wanna keep this thing sweet...how durable is that tape?

You are crazy, its a compliment.

I would go all out and put a UV led in it and have UV sensitive braided sleeves and do a color theme like black/white, green/black or black/blue. Wrap the battery in uv sensitive hest shrink tubing.

UVLED.jpg

312127_376789552432477_592109402_n.jpg

5259526324_212f74bc23_b.jpg

I'm not really into box mods, but if you could make one along these lines, I would probably do a little sex wee and throw money at you for one :)

I think I might take the anodized plunge....it is 75 U.S. for a small batch but I wanna keep this thing sweet...how durable is that tape?

The tape is fantastic mate. It is really durable. Mod has been in my pocket with keys and coins and not marked the tape one bit.

I did a quick job wrapping mine but if you take your time cutting it right you wouldn't even notice it has the tape on.

I made it all the way to vape fest hehehehe :)

Plexiglass is not a problem more than it would a fingerprint nightmare :)

If I could find braided wires like this http://i.imgur.com/fCuJS.jpg small enough then yes and I could add a colored LED too.

Instead of the hole sidedoor being made out of plexiglass I would do it like this http://hacknmod.com/wp-content/old/pics/2254-1.jpg an frame around the plexi to give it a cleaner look.

I've used this before, it's absolutely fantastic and probably the most famous cable braiding among us pc modders out there.

MDPC Sleeve | MDPC-X International

I could speak to Lutro0 over on the Overclock.net website for you if you wish and find out of it's possible to get smaller ID braid as the smallest stuff on the site is best suited to 18awg IIRC but doe's look just as well on other wire too .

2zqu9le.jpg

Back
Top Bottom