What's new

1 st tin mod

pogle

Postman
Just finished my first attempt at a tin mod(it actually works:woot:) and thought i'd share the pics.Some of its a bit cobbled together and rough round the edges,but a great learning experience,and a definite sense of satisfaction vaping something i've built myself.Can't wait for the bits from Dexter to arrive to start another one :drool:

IMG_0248.jpgIMG_0249.jpgIMG_0250.jpg
Umm don't know what happened to that last photo-seems to have rotated itself...
Just a final quick question-
for the 510 adapter i cut the top of an ego battery,I had a hell of a job soldering the negative wire to it,once i'd finally got it soldered in place i covered it with some hot glue to make sure it didn't come off again,could someone give me a shout if this a dodgy thing to be doing.
Cheers...

for the 510 adapter i cut the top of an ego battery,I had a hell of a job soldering the negative wire to it,once i'd finally got it soldered in place i covered it with some hot glue to make sure it didn't come off again,could someone give me a shout if this a dodgy thing to be doing.
Cheers...

Should be fine like that. It's worth scuffing up the connector with some sandpaper or a file before soldering to it. Makes it hold better..

@pogle - I noticed was that your positive connection on the battery holder looks like its touching the tin, or very close to it. This is a bad thing mate as you will short the battery as your connector is earthing the mod by virtue of the fact that the metal on the connector outer surface is connected to the negative terminal. Make sure there is no way the positive end cannot touch the tin. As you are also using an unprotected battery, there is no short protection.

The build is nicely laid out, and the isolation switch is a very nice touch - just please look at that battery holder, as it looks as though it could cause an issue you don't want. It might be OK as it stands now, but a knock or two could make it move and make contact with the tin.

PS - I'm looking at the forum on my tablet, so the piccies aren't that big, so if I am talking bullsh1t, sincere apologies :D

Last edited:
@pogle - I noticed was that your positive connection on the battery holder looks like its touching the tin, or very close to it. This is a bad thing mate as you will short the battery as your connector is earthing the mod by virtue of the fact that the metal on the connector outer surface is connected to the negative terminal. Make sure there is no way the positive end cannot touch the tin. As you are also using an unprotected battery, there is no short protection.

The build is nicely laid out, and the isolation switch is a very nice touch - just please look at that battery holder, as it looks as though it could cause an issue you don't want. It might be OK as it stands now, but a knock or two could make it move and make contact with the tin.

PS - I'm looking at the forum on my tablet, so the piccies aren't that big, so if I am talking bullsh1t, sincere apologies :D
No apologies needed mate-i know next to nothing about this,so any criticisms or suggestions are more than welcome.
with regards to the positive connector,i think its just the angle of the shot,i put about 2mm of glue on the tin,let it set and then glued the connector-with the connector pushed flat-to that.
The battery holder is a bit of a mess tbh-it was me just being a bit impatient and wanting to get on with the build and bodging it together,rather than waiting til i got a proper size holder.
thinking about it though after what you've said,i'm gonna put it to one one side for now til i get a proper holder and some protected batteries to put it together properly.
thanks again for the heads up :thumbup:

What components did you use 

the on/off switch and push button came from maplins,the 510 connecter was cut from an old ego battery,the tin came from a poundshop and the collar is from a protank.
planning to do one yourself ?

pogle - thanks for taking my comments as intended mate. :D If you've got a decent layer of glue in there behind the +,it will insulate the metal parts. I use a 5mm layer under VV boards, and it is good stuff.

I think you've done a nice job mate - and I bet your vape tastes just that little bit sweeter on it too. Nice one fella! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom