Joyetech Espion with ProCore X
One of the latest kits from Joyetech is the Espion with ProCore X kit, boasting a 200w maximum output and an eye-catching 1.45 inch TFT colour display, which is sure to get heads turning!
Alongside the Espion mod, the Espion kit also includes the new ProCore X tank, designed to deliver an all day vaping experience with plenty of flavour and vapour. Let’s see how the Espion kit performs...
- 43mm x 28mm x 113mm dimensions
- 1.45 inch TFT colour display
- 240*320 dpi screen resolution
- 1-200W output power
- Power/RTC/TCR/TC (Ni200, Titanium, Stainless Steel 316) modes
- 0.05-1.5ohm resistance range for TC/TCR
- 0.1-3.5ohm resistance range for VW mode
- 100-315C/200-600F temperature control range
- Takes two 18650 batteries
- 50A max output current
- 9V max voltage output
- 2A max charging current
ProCore X Tank
- 25mm width
- 44mm height
- 2ml capacity
- Takes Joyetech ProC series coil heads
- Flip open top fill
- Detachable structure for ease of cleaning
What’s in the Box?
Inside the box you get the Joyetech Espion, ProCore X tank, Pro C1 0.4ohm coil head, Pro C1-S 0.25ohm coil head, spare glass tank section, drip tip, USB cable, Espion User Manual, ProCore X User Manual, warranty card and battery warning card.
Design and Build Quality
The Joyetech Espion is a decent sized mod for my hand, measuring in at 43mm x 28mm x 113mm. It’s a nice weight too, even with two 18650 batteries, feeling neither too heavy or too light. The finish on the Espion has been pretty hardwearing and durable, I’m yet to pick up a scratch three weeks into using it!
On the side of the Espion is the showpiece 1.45 inch TFT colour screen. There’s plenty of screen real estate here, and the colours are very clear and crisp, plus you have the ability to customise the screen colour. Information is displayed clearly, and you can see battery life, power output, voltage output, resistance and amps. Even the time and date is displayed! The screen is a definite highlight and it’s a refreshing change to see a vibrant colour screen rather than a boring monochrome one!
Underneath the colour screen you’ll find the function and adjustment buttons, and a micro USB port underneath those. A good sized, silver fire button is found at the front of the mod, which is clicky and very responsive.
At the top of the Espion, a spring loaded silver 510 connector is found dead centre, so your chosen atty sits dead centre on the Espion. At the base of the Espion is a flip open battery compartment, which takes two 18650 batteries.
Purchasing the Espion kit also means that you get the new Joyetech ProCore X tank included. The ProCore X tank is a 25mm width sub ohm tank, that is pretty low profile with a 44mm height.
Tank capacity on the ProCore X tank is a TPD friendly 2ml, and this is refilled by pushing up the flip open top cap. A glass tank section is also found, with a replacement included in the box. Two cyclops airflow slots are found on each side of the tank, with a smooth airflow control ring allowing you to adjust them as you see fit.
Using the Joyetech Espion Kit
ProCore X Tank
- Insert either the 0.25ohm ProC1-S or 0.4ohm ProC1 coil head by unscrewing the tank from the base and screwing your chosen coil head into the base of the tank.
- Prime your chosen coil head by dripping some juice directly onto the coil, filling the tank up and letting it stand for five minutes before use
- To fill the ProCore X tank, push the top cap upwards where the liquid symbol is located on the top cap.
- The drip tip can be removed and swapped out for another one of your choosing.
- Airflow can be adjusted from an unrestricted lung hit down to a mouth to lung draw by rotating the airflow control ring.
- You can fully disassemble the ProCore X tank for maintenance and cleaning.
- Push the power button 5 times to turn the device on and off.
- Two high amp 18650 batteries are required, these can be charged at a maximum of 2 amp through the micro USB port.
- Clicking the fire button three times will take you into the menu system. Pressing the plus or minus buttons will allow you to navigate the menu.
- Through the menu, you can switch from VW to TC mode, use TCR, show information on the remaining voltage in each battery, change the colour scheme, set a puff timeout from 5-15 seconds, adjust the preheat setting for TC coils, change time and date settings and what information is displayed on the home screen, and lock/unlock the resistance of your coil.
- Overvaping, short circuit, no atomiser, weak battery, low power, low resistance, overheating and imbalanced batteries protections are all built in.
The Espion mod is a real dual 18650 battery monster, able to fire resistances down to 0.1ohm at up to 200W of power! It is fast and responsive too, reading resistance accurately, with comprehensive TC support for Ni200, Titanium, SS316 and TCR. Battery life is good enough to get you through the day with moderate coil resistance and power, however I do feel battery performance is impacted slightly with the extra demands placed on it by the colour screen.
The ProCore X tank has two different coil head options included with the Espion kit, with a further three available for purchase separately. Included in the box is a 0.4ohm coil head and a 0.25ohm coil head.
The 0.4ohm coil head is known as the ProC1 head, designed for direct lung hits, and Joyetech rate it for use at 40-80W with a ‘best wattage’ range of 55-65W. I found that 60W suited this perfectly, and I got excellent flavour and vapour from this coil head. It wicks high VG E-Liquid perfectly, and I got just over a weeks use from this coil head before I needed to change it.
The 0.25ohm coil head is known as the ProC1-S head, rather surprisingly designed for mouth to lung hits, rated for use at 25-55W with a ‘best wattage’ range of 30-40W. I found that this coil head offered slightly muted flavour in comparison to the ProC1 coil head, and this definitely isn’t suitable for mouth to lung hits!
I do vape mouth to lung as well as direct lung, and the wattages needed for this coil are too much for a mouth to lung hit, and the ProCore X tank has too much airflow. I could get a restricted lung hit, but definitely not a mouth to lung even with the airflow closed right down!
The Joyetech Espion boasts one of the most impressive screens I have come across on a mod, it really is very pleasing to look at, and it has an easy to use menu system which is another big plus point. Form factor is excellent, and I really liked the feel of this mod in my hand.
Aside from the ProC1-S coil head, the ProCore X tank offers a very good vape indeed with the ProC1 coil head, and it is a good match for the Espion mod.
All in all the Joyetech Espion is a decent kit to have a look at, especially if you are looking for a mod with an impressive screen!
Many thanks to Joyetech for sending the Espion kit in for review!